1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Adhesive for Fixing Rubber Speaker Surround?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by winston, Dec 6, 2011.

1. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    East Bay, CA
    I'm wondering what adhesive people recommend for re-attaching a rubber speaker surround to the metal speaker frame? This a fixer-upper cabinet I got for free from a friend. Thanks!

2. winston

May 2, 2000
    East Bay, CA
    I saw that glue on Parts Express with very mixed reviews, also said it wasn't for use on butyl rubber surrounds (which these speakers have).

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    If they have rubber surrounds chances are they're not electric bass drivers. In any event you'd use rubber cement.

4. That was my first thought as well. They sound like car drivers to me.

5. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
  6. winston

May 2, 2000
    East Bay, CA
    Will grade-school rubber cement work, or is there some special industrial stuff?

Also, will it bond to the speaker frame? It's kind of a weird design, definitely looks like an an automotive/hifi sort of speaker where the rubber surround is glued directly to the edge of the frame.

Thanks!

7. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Yup. Don't buy expensive "speaker adhesive". I recently repaired a hole in a sub using rubber cement from Staples. Yes, regular rubber cement. Layer after layer.

8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Another option is automotive weatherstrip adhesive, which is made to glue rubber to metal.

9. winston

May 2, 2000
    East Bay, CA
    Makes perfect sense, thanks!