1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

adhesive gunk cleaning

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by funkybassinator, Jun 19, 2007.

1. hey everybody!

i had some adhesive tape on my fingers today because of blisters on my right hand, and some of the adhesive got gunked up on the pick guard and body. any tricks to help clean it off?

thx,
    funkybassinator

2. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    These kind of adhesives will usually respond to one of two solvents, but not the other. They are naphtha and water. It is hard to tell which kind it is. Since naphtha evaporates quickly start there. If it doesn't cut through the adhesive in a short period of time-way under a minute-then water is the solvent of choice. Sometimes a small amount of soap in the water will help. Finish up by cleaning the guitar and giving it a coat of Dunlop 65 or the polish of your choice.

What kind of tape did you use on your fingers?

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    There is a possibility that you can use the same kind of tape to remove the adhesive.

Assuming you have the same kind of tape in your medicine cabinet:

1) cut a 6 to 8 inch piece of tape from the roll, and ball it up with most of the adhesive facing the outside of the ball.

2) hold the tape ball in one hand, and touch it to the adhesive patches/smears on your bass and pull it away. I'd try using a dabbing motion.

3) Don't do this if there are loose flakes of finish or cracks under the adhesive.

Good Luck!

4. thx!!
    the tape is waterproof medical tape, johnson & johnson or watever, i used it to secure the bandages

5. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    The most common solvent used in the medical community is alcohol. The problem with alcohol is that it can remove French Polish and other alcohol based finishes. Modern finishes like polyester and urethanes are not affected. If you have a newer bass, built after the Seventies then alcohol is a good choice, too.

BTW, what did you use to get it off you? That is the prime candidate.

6. giantjerk

giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    There is a product called "Goo Gone". It will remove any adhesive and not damage your pickguard or finish. I've used it without any problems.

7. "Goo Gone" is a winner.. also try WD-40 on a clean cotton rag, or even cheaper: cooking oil on a rag. :eek:

8. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    +1 on the WD-40. That's what I always use...

9. mark roberts

mark roberts Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    Use "oops!" by Hamax. Works great on all kinds of surfaces.

10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Only way I got goo off my bass was by using the same goo. What Jim Carr said.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021