Adios AT&T and Cingular!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Apr 3, 2005.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I have been an AT&T wireless customer for over 15 years. Never had any serious problems all that time. When I heard about the merge with Cingular, I was excited and nervous. Several of you here at TB warned me about Cingular, and how poor their CS is. Yep, you guys were right. It is really bad.

Well today my son tells me his Cingular phone was stepped on by his buddy, and broken. I call Cingular to ask about a replacement. During the conversation, I find out that I have no contract with Cingular. Somehow, the two-year contract I signed in August to get two $300 phones for free was cancelled when they moved my account over from AT&T to Cingular. Not totally believing the phone rep, I went to a local Cinguar dealer. contract of any kind. I check with AT& contract of any kind. I have felt trapped in Cingular for the last couple months thinking I am stuck with the lousy service for two years.

Upon being freed from our oppression, I packed up the family and we hit the mall kiosks and the hungry teenage sharks that work there. Looks like we are going to join the Verizon family sometime Sunday morning. That is, unless we decide to go with the "beepy beep" guys at Nextel. I am just so excited, I had to tell you guys.

2. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Verizons pretty good, I might suggest the Motorola V710 if you have the money.
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Excellent suggestion. That is the phone my wife is getting if we decide on Verizon. I just want a plain old phone that rings. I don't need a camera, Bluetooth, polyphonic ring tones, downloadable ring tones, text messages and all that. I don't like flip phones one bit after owning one now. I'm just going to get the el-cheapo Nokia that is free.

4. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    I don't know why everyone has so many problems with their cell phones. I've had my V220 for a while now with no problems. The cell phone I had before that one worked perfectly as well... until I lost it :(
  5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA

There is nothing wrong with our cell phones. Besides the one that was broken by accident, these Motorola V600's work perfect. Just way too fancy for what I use it for....calling people. If anyone needs a couple V600's, let me know.

6. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

You can call people on cell phones?!?!?!? :eek:

I didn't know that.

LeonD :D
  7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    if you recall cingular did a great job of ticking me off recently.

they quietly changed their phone insurance plan so you could no longer get a replacement in the store (they mail you one when they feel like it, then you have to mail the old one back or getcharged an additional 75 bucks). to make matters worse they lost the damaged phone i sent them, and only finally found it in the mail room 9they were telling me i owed them the 75 bucks for the old phone even though i used the mailing label they sent me.

another funny thing is this. now in their stores they have an automated check-taking machine so you can make your payments there without "disturbing" them. what i love is the fact that when you come in if you ask to pay at the counter they angrily tell you they no longer do that "to better serve you", and to use the machine. then, without fail, the machine turns out to be so difficult to use and sensitive that they have to leave the counter (and their donut or what have you) and go put the check in for you. :D
  8. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Verizon user here! I have used Verizon cellular and Verizon mobil (old phone in dashboard) since 1997. I have never had a problem with any phone, any service, dropped calls or the ability to use my phone in a normal place. Cs has alway's been 2nd to none and all transactions, service contract's and upgrades I do over the phone! If a phone's contract expires they keep my service going at the same rate (I think they do, I'm a moderate user and don't ever go over). There is another thing that I would like to share with my TB buddies, Verizon owns most all land lines and service. Companies like Sprint, Cingular, the list goes on and on buy airwaves from Verizon! I do a lot of work in Verizon bldg's and found this out year's ago, all those who think they are getting a good deal with a bizzilion minutes here and long distance to saturn suffer basic problems like "network busy" or dropped calls. Verizon is in the business of selling service and that is to people and phone companies, in order for the other companies to make a profit they have to cut cost somewhere! Or they just get taken over by some one else, or go out of business! Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Never send a monster to do the work of a mad scientist! :)
  9. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Come over to the Verizon side. I've been using Samsung phones since I switched from AT&T a few years ago and haven't looked back!
  10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    We're coming. I found the hungriest salesman today, and got a smokin' deal on some phones. Three phones, and a family share plan. Our family is now "IN". I can call any other Verizon customers for free. Cingular did it too, but no one I know had Cingular. Almost all of our friends use Verizon.

So....does anyone use the PTT phones from Verizon?