Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adjustable Bridge?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by jmain, May 12, 2005.

1. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
  2. Blaine

Blaine

Aug 4, 2001
    new york area
    My first bass (Kay) had this exact same bridge. I haven't seen one like it for 25 years. a few have started showing up on ebay about six months ago

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Just to demonstrate how exhaustive TB resources are, I'll add there there is already, somewhere in the dusty archive of TB, at least one thread about these bridges. I recall seeing it a few years ago.

The guys here have seen it all it seems.

4. rftbass

rftbass

Mar 31, 2004
    Waterford, CT
    Got mine on Kay also (1969?) Doesn't say Selmer on it, just London England.

5. jmain

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    What keeps this bridge from taking chunks out of the top? Guess I could search the archives. No really new topics, just new takes.

If it wasn't for this forum, I would have thought this a joke. What a great place. Just got on here couple months ago, and will get my first (playable) double bass in a few weeks.

Hey Chas, John Sprague delivered my SB180 to Nick Lloyd last Friday. Nick should be getting her ready. Probably less than 2 weeks away; about a week before I have all the scratch together. (Mmmm, vitamin DB even makes Ramans nutritious :)

I'm about to pop!! Thanks for all the pretty pics, webpage and PMs. I'm still trying to track down a teacher; already have a couple good books and more on the way. Sure I'll be spending even more quality time in the NB links.

6. Just a quick note from the past...I couldn't find our old threads about these bridges. I've never seen one with the Selmer brand on it . I think the originals were either Ampeg or Framus. Framus was the Company that Mingus Endorsed for a minute. They were famous for their German cut-away basses as well.
    If you didn't know, by the way...the original Ampeg name came from their end-pin mounted microphones. A mic was mounted on the end of an end-pin shaft inside the bass.
    And Jesse, congrats on your new baby and keep us posted.

7. jmain

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Thanks Paul. I'm a bit of a late-comer to the DB side. I had my first serious jones at 12, and my Mom bought me an acoustic guitar from Wally World; which was quickly converted into a 4 string. Bought myself a BG at 17, made myself a washtub bass at 24 (I admit to cutting down the Cherry tree), and bought a CCB at 29 that was unplayable from day three. Now, after more than 7 years after the CCB, I'm getting my first real DB. If it wasn't for life and bills, having to eat and wanting more gear; I'd find someone to study with full time. I might have missed it when I was young, but that's not going to stop me now. Hopefully I can find a MS student or a local player that likes to teach and share some history as much as I want to learn and listen.

I'm glad to get these little morsels of knowledge that you throw out. Informative and entertaining. Keep'em coming!!