Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adjustable bridge?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Angelo, May 4, 2002.

1. Angelo

Angelo

Jan 12, 2002
    Is there any company that makes a bridge that allows adjustable string spacing?Thanks guys.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

There is at least one currently on the market, made by ABM. There are probably one or two that I don't know about.

The best(IMHO) bridge ever made that had adjustable spacing was made by Kahler, If you find one of those, jump on it! They are out of production.:(

3. Angelo

Angelo

Jan 12, 2002
    Cool,thanks.

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    there just happens to be a kahler on ebay...these are awesome bridges...kind of a pain to get them where you want, but they are the epitome of adjustability. this is a bridge for a six string and it's a gold one, but you get the idea.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hey, that's the first time I've seen a Khaler up close. Looks like it'd be the perfect bridge to make adjustments too. Are they stable? What about mass? They flimsy?

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    heck, no, they aren't...once they're in place and locked down, they ain't goin' nowhere. and they're made of brass. , so they're pretty hefty. bill conklin used them on the old sidewinders...turner had one on his first fretless....he later swapped it out for an abm, though.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    hey, whatever get me 19mm-21mm string spacing is ok by me...

Personally, for some reason, I think that Khaler is one FUGLY bridge, IMHO. I dig AMB's though!

8. Angelo

Angelo

Jan 12, 2002
    Does ABM have a website?

9. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, aesthetics isn't the first thing that comes to mind when i see one, especially when they are installed. the top usually hangs off the back side of the body, due to the almost "novax" shape of the baseplate, but they are good bridges...something different.

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I have one of those Kahlers installed on my Peavey TL-6 and it's a great bridge. The only think I don't like is that the string height adjusters can only be raised if the string is removed, which means you have to detune the string, raise or lower the adjuster, put the string back on and tune it to pitch before you can tell whether the height is good or not. Of course, once you got it, it's fine, but it's definitely the one hassle.

[​IMG]

11. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yeah, sorta like the warwick just-a-nut I. i agree with it being a pain, but once it's set, you're golden.