1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Adjustable bridge

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by bass_snake, Sep 20, 2010.

1. bass_snake

bass_snake Inactive

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
    Hola,

I read before that adjustable bridges are not great for slapping. Is this true?

Would the bridge keeps on moving if you' re a slapper?

thanks,

Fred

2. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    The bridge won't move around because it has adjusters in the legs. You'll just have more control over the string heights. ;)

3. bass_snake

bass_snake Inactive

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
    Cool, thanks. That' s what I thought. I always wanted one install on mine.

4. Alvasin

Alvasin Inactive

Feb 14, 2011
    I have an Epiphone acoustic guitar that I really like, my girlfriend gifted it to me after her uncle gifted it to her (she doesn't play, fingers are too small). It's the FT-130. It basically has two large screws, one on either side of the bridge, If anyone is familiar with this style of adjustable bridge can you please either tell me how to use it or send me a link to a site that will? the action is pretty low on the high strings and I'm getting a lot of buzzing (more than I should). Thanks for any help you can give!

[​IMG]

5. tstone

tstone

Nov 16, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    That type of guitar bridge was used by Gibson and Epiphone in the 1960s, as I recall. It has a ceramic saddle which is adjustable for action height by turning the two screws on either side. You use a flat blade screwdriver to turn the screw clockwise to raise the action height, counterclockwise to lower it. You can adjust the treble side and the bass side independently. If you want to raise the action height, slacken the strings before making any height adjustment. Then retune to pitch after the adjustment.

6. bass_snake

bass_snake Inactive

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
    Throw it in the garbage. :confused:

7. Some folks have had trouble with adjusters getting kind of loose after a while. This can cause them to lean towards the neck, which in turn can cause them to fall down. I think there's a lot of factors that go into this - quality of the bridge, quality of the adjusters, how much adjustment you do, etc. I think if you have to raise your adjusters more than just a little bit, your bridge is too short.

Other folks feel that the adjusters affect the sound that's transmitted through the bridge into the body of the bass.

I had adjusters for quite a while without any problems. I noticed that I hadn't touched them in a long time so I had a new fixed bridge made using my adjusted bridge as a pattern.

Cindy

8. If you live in an area where the temperature and humidity are more constant, you might not need adjusters...but here in Michigan, they're pretty essential for me! The top of the bass can expand or contract quite a lot, changing the string height drastically. An adjustable bridge is really handy for keeping the strings at the right spot...some players have Winter and Summer bridges and switch them out when they need to. Me, I've never had trouble with a well-made adjustable bridge. Plus, if you like to experiment with different strings (as many of us do sometimes) it's nice for that...lower tension strings often need a little more string height.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021