adjustable bridges

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by jazzbassnerd, Sep 1, 2002.

1. jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    Ive heard from different people that say that adjustable bridges are the way to go. I just wanted to get some more peoples imput. Please state your opinion

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'd truely love to agree with you if I knew what you're about.
    Say, 95 % of today's bass bridges are fully adjustable for intonation and string height, some of them also for string spacing.
  3. jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    thanks. to answer your question im all about jazz. From Coltrane to Hancock, Miles to Monk. so if that helps you tell me if i should get a new bridge. Another quetion can they just put adjusters in to the bridge i have now? if so will that affect the sound?
  4. Seppie

Aug 14, 2002
    Austria, Vienna

i think mr jazz euro groove confused here a little bit the we are to talk about DB´s and not baby basses with their "adjustable in every direction" bridges...

so now to the point...i´ve seen some studies
    don´t bother the written information is in english =;O)

about that as you can see there are some pros and contras....
    such a bridge with hight adj can be very usefull if there are drastical humidity/temperature differences between places where you carry and play your bass around.

but i have to say that i have no adjusters and had till now no problem with my string height...also my bass teacher (who has the adjusters) says that he wouldn´t do it a second time...

but that are only my two cents
  5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

My bad, gentlemen.

I used the 'new in past 24 hrs' button, and didn't realize this was an upright question.

Now, this is interesting.
    I've never seen an adjustable bridge on a double bass, and really wonder how they look like.
  6. Seppie

Aug 14, 2002
    Austria, Vienna
    no proplem...but take a look at the link there you should see one...

7. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001

hehe ;)

only kidding.
  8. I am actually very happy with my adjustable bridge. It has saved me a couple of times during the long hot and humid NYC summer. I do this weekly saturday night gig and some nights the humidity was so bad the my bass felt unplayable. So I just lowered my bridge a bit. Of course if I were really good I would be able to handle playing the bass without adjusting the bridge.;)