Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

adjustable bridges

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by tww001, Aug 14, 2003.

1. tww001

tww001

Aug 13, 2003
    Telford, PA
    does anyone else have trouble with the rods in the bridges bending? It happened once before when someone kicked my bass at a gig...I had my repair man fix it, but it's been starting to bend again now that i've been learning how to slap

2. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    You must have a fair amount of adjuster stud ("pins") exposed. That's the only way I can see bending happening. If you've gotta crank it up that high, maybe you need a higher bridge to begin with.

3. tww001

tww001

Aug 13, 2003
    Telford, PA
    no acctually the rods are hardly out at all

4. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Weird. I'm done. Any real luthiers out there?

5. OK - let's get a little more information before making any guesses. What kind of adjuster are we talking about? Aluminum? You say your repair man fixed once. What did he do to fix it?
    How do you know the "Rod" is bending? Did you take it apart, or does the bridge just looks like it is bending?

6. tww001

tww001

Aug 13, 2003
    Telford, PA
    well, i don't know what he did to get it straight again, but everything was just fine and dandy till this past week (i've started slapping). I haven't taken it out to look at it, but i suppose i shall. could it be bending because i've been pulling my strings too hard?

7. I doubt very seriously that the "Rods" are bent. More likely, the bridge just needs to be repostioned (pulled, straightened) so the back side of the bridge is perpendicular to the top. There can be a lot of play in the adjusters and the top of the bridge can move independent of the legs. If you don't know how to straighten your bridge (on the bass), ask your repairman to show you how to do it. That is something we all have to do occationally.

8. Andrew_S.

Andrew_S.

Jul 24, 2001
    Flagstaff, AZ
    That brings an question I've been pondering. I definitely need a new bridge but I'm wondering what, if any, are the ill effects of having too much threading exposed? Less Volume? Tone?

I'd like to hear our fine luthiers thoughts... :)

9. IMO the biggest potential problem is structural. The fewer screw threads there are in contact with the bridge wood, the more stress is put on the wood where the remaining threads reside. Normally, that's not too serious a problem, but a sharp hit while going through a door, or hitting anything for that matter, could cause the bridge to snap. I wouldn't stay up nights worrying about it, but the danger is there.