Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

adjustable nut?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LJW, Feb 27, 2002.

1. LJW

LJW

Feb 8, 2002
    northeastern pa.
    Does anyone wish they had an adjustable nut on their bass?

Does anyone wish they did not have an adjustable nut on their bass?

Thanks

2. Warwick has them..

they seem very nice to me..allows you to lower the strings @ the pickups and raise them at the nut..

seems like nice to me..

3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Atlansia uses a unit like Warwick's or that allparts one. But I don't know of anyone who owns one.

4. LJW

LJW

Feb 8, 2002
    northeastern pa.
    Thank you for the link.

Is the ABM nut the same part Warwick uses?

Have you experienced a change in witness point after adjusting a screw?

Any buzzes?

Is the open and fretted tone consistent?

Thanks

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    oh my god donne.

i love you.

seriously.

jason

6. No buzzes. You can really dial in your action super low, or high... depending...

Don't ever have to worry about cracks/chipping and such. Their bullet proof.

I've used it with E string gauges from 95 to 135
    (when I was experimenting with a 5 string set on a 4 string).

Too low and you'll get "resonances" that sound like a sitar in certain postions.

Don't *fret,* open and fretted tones are consistent.
    Great harmonics.

Anywho, individual string adjustments is the way to go. It may take a little more time then dual screw adjustable bar nut (Alembic, new Warwicks), but it's worth it IMHO.

One final point. If there are any nut slot problems they can be replaced individually without having to rip the entire nut out.

7. LJW

LJW

Feb 8, 2002
    northeastern pa.
  8. I've got a Just-A-Nut on my Warwick Streamer, and I don't think it's all it's cracked up to be. It's really big, so it tends to dig into your hand in 1st fret playing.

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    yeah - the plastic just-a-nut 2 does dig into my hand as well. i'll say it again - this thing is a piece of crap. has sharp edges, sticks out too far on both sides, and is effectively hollow. they have this gorgeous countersunk bridge to make sure all the tone gets out of the bass on that end, and then put this suspended POS on the other end. plus mine is bowing because it's not supported in the middle! augh.

the just-a-nut 1 on my thumb rocked. if they don't make those ABM's for 5 string bass i'm going to make a solid brass nut for my SSII.

jason

10. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Jason - somewhere I have a brass adjustanut for a five string. I've had a quick look for it, but I can't remember where I left it. The plan was to use the threaded string holders and make my own nut to fit them in (as the warmoth's nut is wider than a warwick nut) but it was easy enough to make a new nut for my warmoth so I never bothered...

I'll have another look this weekend (PM me on friday night to remind me) and if I find it you can have it.

11. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

:D