1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

adjustable poles?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by themaestro78, Aug 5, 2012.

1. themaestro78

themaestro78

Sep 27, 2011
    Hello all. I just picked up an epipone eb-3 and i was wondering if the pole pieces are adjustable since they are flathead screws. have asked many of the clowns at various guitar stores about these types of pickups and have gotten many different answers ranging from to tell which way to put the pickups in. or "don't do that it will mess up the polarity." im pretty sure thats not true. so is it just to fine tune the pickup height.

2. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Generally adjustable poles is simply to adjust the loudness balance between the strings. Some (usually in the style you indicate) tend to be cosmetic. You can tell because if you screw them out and they get loose, then they'll just work themselves this way and that when you play. In that case it's best to leave them screwed down tight just for looks and to keep them from unscrewing.

I've got a bunch of G&L L2500 basses with adjustable poles and quite frankly I've never done more in a setup than adjust pickup height or at most tilt (one end closer to strings than other). I've never seen a bass so badly balanced that you had to adjust the poles to get the strings sounding even. But I suppose they exist.