1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Adjusted Truss rod, need opinions

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Armaz, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Armaz

Armaz

Feb 5, 2007
    Hi,

I bought a new bass and put Flatwounds on it, so obviously neck became frontbowed (had lots of relief) so I decided to adjust it.

Checked the Fender site, and followed the instructions :
    Used a capo at 1st fret.
    Depressed last fret.
    Checked distance between 8th fret and E string.

I kept tightening the truss rod (turned clockwise) until I had .012" distance (checked using a feeler gauge). There is space to maybe fit a hair between the .012" gauge and the bottom of the string now, but decided to leave it like that, as the truss rod kinda felt tighter, didn't want to risk breaking it.

The neck still has some relief (visibly) but the distance between the 8th fret and the bottom of the E string, with the 1st and last frets pressed corresponds to the numbers found on the Fender side. Is that correct, or should I try getting a straight neck?

Thanks for advice ;)

2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 19, 2021