Adjusted Trussrod, should i not play?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mans0n, Mar 14, 2003.

1. mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    I couldnt find anything involving this particular fact in searches, apparently i used the wrong string because im sure its been asked.

I loosend my trussrod about 1/4 of a turn today, and im wondering if i am 'allowed' to play it? or is it not recomended? while its *resting*.

i plan on doing another 1/4 turn tomarrow.

any help would be appreciated!

thanks =)
  2. You can play it. I have before. A key factor in the "leave it for a day/few hours" is that the neck is a piece of timber under pressure. You are increasing or decreasing (depending on your truss rod adjustments) such pressure on the neck. This wont happen instantly, wood isn't exactly the most flexible material out there.

If you really must play... leave it for 2 hours after your adjustment. I tend to do mine at night, let it settle in while i am asleep. Only JT plays during his sleep...

3. mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    thanks for the descriptive and quick reply!

i apreciate your help ;-)
  4. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Go ahead and play it right after the adjustment. You can't hurt anything.
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Yeah, as chucko and merlin say - you're not going to "hurt" anything.

Just don't expect a change in your action. I twiddle with the action on mine and continue to play that bass immediately after I adjust the rod. I just don't expect any big change in my action at that time.

But when I pick up the same bass on which I adjusted the truss rod 24 hrs. earlier, the action can be so much different. Wood is incredibly complex, so don't expect immediate results.

Take it slow and be patient. And keep in mind that your bridge intonation screws and saddle screws are also an important part of the "action equation."
  6. Thats what you think...

Until you're playing some Metallica and the neck snaps like a twig,and a splinter shoots into your eye at 900 mph and goes straight through,stabbing your dog ,leaving him bleeding to death,right beside his owner's dead body!

If I were you,I'd like it sit...for a bit,take a break...mess around on TB all day:oops:

7. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Yes you can play it right away!

In all reality, the settling in thing is WAY exagerated on this forum.

Most of the settling in will occur in the first 5 minutes after adjustment. Waiting 24 hours is extreme overkill.

8. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder

Whether it was one of my own personal basses, or a customers bass that I was working on, I would not make a second adjustment for a minimum of 24 hours. I usually wait 2 days, just to be safe and sure.

However, you can play it immediately after making a 1/4 turn adjustment.