1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

adjusting a j-bass neck (noob)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by williamk, Jan 24, 2012.

1. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    I have a GL jazz bass, I'd like to set it up by myself instead of paying 50$ or so to have someone do it for me... but I've never tried it myself! I want the strings to be as close to the frets as possible (without buzz of course) for easier slap and pop. Clockwise? Counter-clockwise? Just 1/4 turn or more?
    thanks!

2. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    come on, 41 people have read this thread! help out a noob!

3. fbny71

fbny71 Supporting Member

May 28, 2010
    West Hempstead, NY
    You probably won't have to adjust the truss rod unless the neck is bowed.

You can adjust the string height at the bridge saddles then adjust your intonation by moving the saddles front or back as necessary.

4. Thumpin_P

Thumpin_P

Nov 26, 2006
    Limestone, TN
    first off, this should be in the set-up section, but, I will say that most truss rods will loosen up (counter-clockwise) and create relief (bow) in the neck. If you already have plenty of bow in your neck, turn the truss rod clockwise, tightening it up. The strings need to be de-tuned before doing any of this. There are arguments going either way, as far as string tension, but, I would rather be safe than sorry. The goal, is to reach a straight neck, with tension. Again, there will be about 200 people commenting in the setup section, plus, I would say that there are stickys regarding this very subject.

Good Luck!

Thumpin_P

5. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    that's like chinese to me...

what are the saddles?

6. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    oh ok, I didn't even know there was such a section...I'll go check that out!

7. fbny71

fbny71 Supporting Member

May 28, 2010
    West Hempstead, NY
    There are a few really great guides to be downloaded. I will post a link later when I find it.

8. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    oh boy I just went to the setup section and it's a goldmine...but I still don't really understand. I'd literally need like a step-by-step with pictures kinda thing!

9. fbny71

fbny71 Supporting Member

May 28, 2010
    West Hempstead, NY
    Pm me your email address and I will send you a nice guide I've got.

10. fbny71

fbny71 Supporting Member

May 28, 2010
    West Hempstead, NY