Adjusting action

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by simmering_flow, Jan 11, 2009.

1. simmering_flow

simmering_flow Guest

Jan 11, 2009
    NZ
    Hey, I've been playing bass for about 2 years and I have an Ibanez SR200. I really enjoy popping and slapping on the bass, but whenever I slap on my bass, it never has the same sound as other I've played...that full sound, it's hard to explain, but when I slap it, it just sounds like im playing the note louder, no change in type of sound if you get what I mean?

Anyway, will adjusting the action (lowering it) help with obtaining this sound? Or do I have to change my strings? I've never adjusted anything on my bass before, but you gotta start somewhere i guess.

2. Greenman

Greenman Guest

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Welcome. Some of the guys I know like a little higher action for slap. Just an idea at you. :)

3. Gone

Gone Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    Cape Town
    Jayda custom basses, builder
    When did you last change your strings?
    Have you experimented with different EQ's.
    Action is unlikely to effect the sound to much (IMO).

4. simmering_flow

simmering_flow Guest

Jan 11, 2009
    NZ
    I haven't changed the strings at all, but I'm pretty sure it's sounded the same since I first got it. Yea, I recently bought a Warwick Sweet 25.1 amp, and have experimented (and learnt) about the different tone settings, but it doesn't change it a lot. I'm not quite sure what gauge strings I got, but do you think that would affect sound?

5. Gone

Gone Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    Cape Town
    Jayda custom basses, builder
    I went through a stage of changing my strings every 2-3 months in order to get the 'perfect' slap tone. Not sure if it will give you the sound you want or not but it will definitely effect the sound.

6. makanudo

makanudo

Dec 26, 2008
    Agree, brand new strings always have a brighter tone, if you havent changed them at all in 2 years, now its the time.

7. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
    Change the strings, put on a set of stainless steel like D'addario Prosteels, you'll see the difference big time.

8. +1 to all the above advice about changing out your strings.

Might want to take a look around YouTube and bounce your technique off of some of the greats to see if you're doing the same things - I know my technique doesn't sound anything like James Jamerson or Marcus Miller, even though they're big influences.