Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

adjusting bridge for first time

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by tbassist4, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Okay I need to adjust my bridge, because they action has become way too low, but I'm horrified to touch the adjusters. I know that both sides have to be the same height, but which way do you twist them? Do they both twist the same direction? How much force should I use? and should I loosen up the strings a bit? Thanks!

2. Charles Shores

Charles Shores Commercial User

Jul 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Owner: Guitar Barre
    While I don't want to mislead you about the direction to turn, as it may not be the same on your bass, I will tell you that yes, you should lay the bass as flat on the back as possible (to keep the soundpost steady) and loosen the strings maybe a step or so, more depending on how much you will raise the bridge height. Do a little at a time, make sure they are level and maybe even keep track of how much you turn them total, so when the seasons change again you cant turn them right back with less guesswork.

Chad

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Put a Sharpie to TDC so that you know when you have them lined up. Turn them alternately a 1/4 turn or so. Keep your hand on the foot of the bridge at first in case the adjuster wants to move the foot. If you're raising the strings a bunch, or if the adjusters are really hard to turn, you might want to detune the strings a bit.

It's really not rocket science. Take your time and use common sense and you'll be just fine. :)

4. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001
    Chicago
    TDC?

5. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Do not Loosen your Strings. If your sound post is not near perfect or better and it slips or falls you will have a potential problem.

Raising or lowering your Bridge with adjusters should be as easy as tuning your Bass or easier. Mark the Adjuster wheels with a Black Sharpie and ray has suggested in the middle adjuster wheel facing up at you. Then turn the wheel in the direction to raise it slightly. Then the other side. Back and forth until you have the height required. Then re-tune your Bass as it my be a bit sharp. Check and make sure the Bridge is still well fitted and parallel to the top or slightly tilted/cut facing the tail piece and then just play and have fun. In the Summer when the Back swells and the neck moves forward, do the same in reverse direction to lower the strings. Adjusting a Bridge is easier than adjusting a car seat. You don't have to worry that much if you are careful.

6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Top, dead center. Sorry -- my automotive background poking trhough.

7. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    If you have aluminum (silver colored) adjusters, you may have to loosen the strings a little bit to get the adjusters to turn. Tuning down a whole step isn't going to drop the soundpost (assuming the bass is lying down on a bed/sofa). Smaller thread adjusters (aluminum 1/4-20) are usually harder to turn than their larger threaded cousins... imefyi... what kind of adjuster do you have? Are the threads of the adjuster pointing up towards the strings or down towards the bass?