Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ADJUSTING CONTROLS ON THE FLY

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by luknfur, Mar 12, 2004.

1. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Aside from a rest in the music or held note, was wondering if anybody has any tricks that work for them for adjusting controls on the fly in a way that doesn't interupt the music.

Probably looking around for a pony here but, hey, on the other hand, might learn something useful.

2. well, i just keep on playing with my left hand (tapping) and try to complete whatever alterations i need to do asap with my right hand

Heath

3. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've never used or tried one, but Alembic has at least one preamp design that emphasizes switches over knobs to allow for quick changes in tone on the fly. Maybe others can give more details...

:)

4. :D :D

5. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    I use my pinky and keep playing. I learned this technique using volume swells,try it out. -Luke

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Now that's interesting, and a thought.

7. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Footpedals work well. They keep your hands free. The pinky thing works too. I don't usually change sounds (much) in the middle of a song. The knob that gets the most use is the pickup blend. For dramatic sound changes during songs I almost always use a footpedal.

8. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Damn :eek: You either have very long fingers, or your volume control is much closer to the strings. Now, I know I have short fingers. With my index finger on the G string of a P bass, if I really stretch, I can brush my pinky against the volume control. No way I can actually move the volume :( With two fingers forget it, I am not even close.

9. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    I just wait until the music permits me to mess with stuff. It's highly unlikely that anyone in the audience will notice someting isn't "perfect" in your tone but they're likely to notice if you miss a few notes or play the wrong rythm somewhere. Of course, if your bass is feeding back like crazy or something you should go ahead and fix it.

I'm not sure if this is what you meant in your post. If you were talking about using two different bass tones in one song I'd just use pedals.

10. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE

I heard that. When I first read it, I thought, of course, I remembered practicing volume swells, squeels, pinch harmonics and all. Why didn't I think of that. Then I tried it tonight on the bass and I remembered part of the reason I got moving on this thread to begin with, bass controls aren't set up for adjustment while playing like guitars are. And you rarely ever see a bass player make an adjustment during play - and frequently not during a set for that matter.

A following post had a good point about nobody in the audience is going to notice a change anyway (most the time bass thru a PA sounds like tapping on a mic) but they will notice if you screw up.

11. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Yes,I do have long fingers. My pinky is 3 inches. My middle being 4. This also took some practice,but in my band's first song,I use some volume swells during a melodic chord structure. It's sounds like it's been faded in the studio. You'd be surprised the tones you can achieve through improvision. -Luke

12. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, this must be COOL HAND Luke

13. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Yes,along with Luke Skywalker............go ahead,you know you want to say it. You're my father,I know,I know. hehe :D -Luke

14. Goldsac

Goldsac

Mar 15, 2004
    The 'Hill
    +1

It doesnt usually take that long to find a gap in the rhythm. And for the times when you can't, I just practice being able to turn the knobs to the rhythm of a song. If you get a good feel for that, all you have to do is sacrafice one finger-pluck, and you won't lose any touch with the beat. But as for volume swells, I gotta hand it to V.S., very cool idea mang! :hyper:

15. You could always try plucking the notes with your thumb while using a pinky to make the necessary tone adjustments - works for me on the rare occasions I want to do it.

16. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Never thought of that :cool: I will try that tonight.

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Used to use a volume pedal at the end of my signal chain but now I'm running mostly direct to the head, so I either tap lefty and change righty or if it's a bunch of open E's or something, I reach around my neck and turn it with my left hand.

18. Hey Seanm, I see another Ottawa guy has joined the TB ranks - cool. You playing with anyone I would know?