Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

adjusting for action and buzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by r05c03, Aug 29, 2005.

1. r05c03

r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    I am trying to zero in on the action on my basses. As I understand adjusting the neck relief and bridge height will control the amount of work that I need to do fret a note and how hard I can pluck a string and not get buzzing. I am also under the impression that I need to adjust the neck first, or should I adjust the strings close to neck via the bridge and then adjust the relief to a place where I can play in my style without too much buzz? Thanks for any advice.

2. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
  3. r05c03

r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    I know how to adjust these things. I guess my question is should I set the neck relief to some predetermined number such as .3mm regardless of how much it my buzz and then adjust the bridge to clear up buzz. Currently the relief on my Ibanez Artcore is at .45 mm and the string height (action) is about 3.1-3.2 mm at the 14th fret. If I pluck what is medium to me I do not get buzz, if I really reef on a string it buzzes, and if I play with a pick there is a lot of buzz. I think I want my action a little lower, but at the current neck relief I will begin to get what I consider too much buzz. Where do I go from here. I guess I should mention that the saddles on the bridge of the artcore are no individually adjustable as far a string height, you can raise the whole bridge from either side only.

4. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Why do you want the action lower? Is it not as comfortable right now where it is or are you just trying to see how low you can possibly get it? You said that the relief is at the point where you'll get too much buzz? Is the buzz all over the neck? If so then regardless of what the relief is, unless you lighten up your touch, you won't be able to play with lower action.

I don't have any measurements to mention, but I adjust my neck until it's almost perfectly straight, with just a slight hint of relief (probably about playing card thick at the 9th fret or so) Then I just lower the action until I can't play comfortably without it buzzing. Then I put it back to just where stops buzzing. I want to be able to play as hard as I naturally want to play without there being any buzz.

Make sure you're doing this for comfort sake. I used to be obsessed with my action just from a technical standpoint. Where I just want to make the action lower and lower, just for bragging that I had low action I guess :)

5. r05c03

r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    Thanks for the insight. I am trying to get things zeroed in and testing the parameters that suit me, not going for low action for low actions sake.