Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adjusting Gain for slapping/Amp clipping problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Mar 7, 2003.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Hey everyone,

When adjusting the gain so that the amp doesn't clip, I usually play fingerstyle. But I've noticed that after I've set the gain, when I slap (usually just the E string) the amp will clip. I don't know if I should play fingerstyle when I set the gain or slap. Or is the light coming on once in a while not a big deal?

I play fingerstyle most of the time, but I would like to slap, and I don't want to have to keep adjusting the gain for when I do.

Thanks!

2. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    If the light is just coming on every once in a while and staying on briefly, no big deal. It's when it stays on constantly you need to back off.:bassist:

3. One tip...
    When I set my gain, I turn the master all the way down so theres no sound, and then just slap the crap outta my bass and play as hard (or harder) than I ever will live...then I set the gain so it's just under clipping range when I do that...then you never haveta worry abotu clipping. And if you feel the need to boost gain a little during a show or somehting, you can bump it up a TINY bit and you still should clip....

4. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Thanks for the replies.. One more question though.. When I turn up the amp, how do I know how much I can turn it up without hurting the amp? Because the more I turn up, it wont affect the clip light right?

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    tobias4,

you may want to check this thread out. although i started this thread, i don't use a compressor. i did start it to see what the TB community thought.

interesting read

do you compress?