1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Adjusting Gain for slapping/Amp clipping problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Mar 7, 2003.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Hey everyone,

When adjusting the gain so that the amp doesn't clip, I usually play fingerstyle. But I've noticed that after I've set the gain, when I slap (usually just the E string) the amp will clip. I don't know if I should play fingerstyle when I set the gain or slap. Or is the light coming on once in a while not a big deal?

I play fingerstyle most of the time, but I would like to slap, and I don't want to have to keep adjusting the gain for when I do.

Thanks!

2. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    If the light is just coming on every once in a while and staying on briefly, no big deal. It's when it stays on constantly you need to back off.:bassist:

3. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove Severe GAS problems. Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    One tip...
    When I set my gain, I turn the master all the way down so theres no sound, and then just slap the crap outta my bass and play as hard (or harder) than I ever will live...then I set the gain so it's just under clipping range when I do that...then you never haveta worry abotu clipping. And if you feel the need to boost gain a little during a show or somehting, you can bump it up a TINY bit and you still should clip....

4. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Thanks for the replies.. One more question though.. When I turn up the amp, how do I know how much I can turn it up without hurting the amp? Because the more I turn up, it wont affect the clip light right?

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    tobias4,

you may want to check this thread out. although i started this thread, i don't use a compressor. i did start it to see what the TB community thought.

interesting read

do you compress?