Adjusting hair tension on bows

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Dirtyslappopper, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Hi, I've been playing upright for a while, but just started using the bow. I went out and purchased a german bow, however it's quite loose. I've tried adjusting it using the piece at the back, but I'm not sure i'm doing it correctly or efficiently. If someone could give me a description of the best way to do it that would be great. Thanks a lot.
  2. As far as I know, turning the handle is the only way to tighten the hair. Just turn it clockwise until you have the tension you want. Tension is a matter of personal preference. I would suggest you experiment with different tensions and see what works best for you.
  3. remember to release the tension after you use it...that's very important!

4. Why do you do this?
  5. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    I don't get it - you've tightened it all the way yet it's still quite loose??
  6. Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    It only needs to be tight enough so that the wood does not touch the strings when you arco. You should apply no pressure went arco, let the rosin take care of grabbing the string.
  7. As far as I know you loosen the bow so there is no tension while it is in the case, and it doesnt break.
  8. BASSnSAX -- my teacher tells me that if you don't loosen the bow after you're done playing, then the bow will be constantly under tension and the bow stick can lose its curvature. This would affect its playability and sound.