Adjusting intonation on a bridge without a screw adjustment...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Jul 29, 2003.

1. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I tried this topic a few days ago under the title "Cirrus intonation" but haven't gotten any bites, so I'll try to make it more generic here. I'll leave the other thread open in hopes of improving my odds of getting a response, but mods may want to close one or the other thread down...

Anyway, my Cirrus has a bridge where each saddle moves in a little "box canyon" so to speak, and is held in position by an allen screw that pins the saddle to the "canyon walls." This arrangement is in lieu of the traditional one where a long screw provides a "rail" for the saddle to ride on, and which can be turned to make intonation adjustments.

Anyway, I'm wondering, what is the best way to make adjustments on a bridge of this type? Best I can tell, I will need to take a measurement, slacken the string and then loosen the "pincher" screw with the baby on her back, so the saddle doesn't just fall out, and then hire one of those guys who paints names on grains of rice at carnivals to scoot the loosened saddle a tiny bit in the proper direction, then tighten up the screw and string and check it again. Lather, rinse and repeat until it's *just* right. I am, of course, nervous about getting an exact intonation adjusted by "arbitrary scoot..."

Any suggestions?

2. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    My Cort Steingberger has bridge blocks that are pinched together just like you have described. It looks to me like you have figured it out. Intonation is a real pain. When you think you have the intonation perfect you then pinch/secure them with an allen head. It always seems to change the intonation slightly. I just have to do it over and over until it's just right. No easy way. :(