Adjusting Intonation .

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jieshi, Nov 5, 2003.

1. jieshi

Mar 26, 2002
    Do i need to adjust the intonation if i change new strings ?

thank you in advance !:)
  2. Okay, this is my opinion only..

No. To me the intonation is set and adjusted by screws. This is a physical setting. But having said that, strings can be different, stretched differently etc. I still check the intonation, but often it doesnt need changing.

3. If you know how to adjust intonation, you already know how to check intonation. changes strings. check intonation. adjust if necessary.
  4. YMMV but I've found that if I'm changing gauges, I normally need to adjust the intonation but if I'm restringing with the same gauge I don't.
  5. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Ive never had to adjust intonation on any of my basses ever. I check often enough...
  6. If you're just changing to a new set of the strings that you already had on, you shouldn't have to change it. The reason you need to change the intonation is because the strings that you actually use on the bass don't behave ideally, they vibrate kinda weird (an ideal string is infinitely thin but still has mass, hence its difficult to make the 'ideal' strings, search out Suburban's Physics Essay for more info). As a result you need to kinda fudge the scale length a little so that they are in tune up the bass.

If you're actually going to an entirely different type of string it wouldn't hurt to check the intonation, especially if you're going from tapered to regular, or vice-versa.

Josh D