Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adjusting Jazz pups

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SinisterMental, Oct 23, 2005.

1. SinisterMental

SinisterMental

Oct 14, 2005
    NJ
    Hello everyone! I'm new here, this is my first post, and I've searched out this question to no avail. I just recently purchased a MIM Jazz bass which from what I can tell was made in 1998. Although I'm new to bass I'm not by any means new to guitars and setups. My questions is this . . . just how do you adjust the pups on a Jazz bass? I've been to Fender's site and have read their set up guide, but I'm baffled. On a Strat guitar it's simply a matter of turning the screws on either end of the pup, as the pups are mounted to the pick guard. On a Les Paul the pups are mounted to the mounting ring which have adjustment screws. On the Jazz bass, though, it appears that the pups are mounted directly to the body. When I turn the screws they either just come out or tighten, but don't move the pup. Are shims needed?

Let me just add that this site is great! I never played bass before and I must say I am LOVING it. I look forward to your replies.

2. telekaster

telekaster

Feb 14, 2005
    San Diego
    From my experience, jazz pickups only like to be adjusted down and don't spring back up easily. It's just the way the design works. If you want to raise the pickups then you have to undo the screws and start with the pickups mounted high. From there just tighten them down till they're where you want them. If you tighten too far, then most of the time you're going to have to start over. It's really just the nature of the beast. I have not been able to overcome this. Luckily you only really need to do this until you get the height right. After that you just :bassist:

3. SinisterMental

SinisterMental

Oct 14, 2005
    NJ
    Okay, thanks. I'll give that a try.

4. That's just about the story - sometimes it helps to start with new foams when the old ones have taken a set that's too short.