Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

adjusting parametric eq....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The_major_Rajor, Apr 28, 2004.

1. The_major_Rajor

The_major_Rajor

Apr 15, 2003
    Canada
    Hi everyone, at my bands jamspot I was using another amplifier already set up there but this amp featured a parametric eq, a feature my amp lacks. At home I usually have my amp set to a mark king similar sound, usually turn the bass and treble up and cut the mids. I'm not sure how to adjust the parametric eq part of the amp to get a similar sound. I can adjsut the stand eq but am at a loss of how to operate the parametric eq. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I just cant seem to get a good sound when adjusting it, even tho this should be a better amp.

thanks.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If your amp as bass, middle and treble controls and you want to mimic that with a parametric, you'll need to select a fairly wide bandwith (but you can play around with it). Then set the freq control for about 1 Khz or lower and dial in the amount of cut you want.

If you're not sure about the center frequency, set the bandwidth narrow at first and vary the frequency control while playing (with the gain control turned down a fair amount). The effect will be dramatic and not too musical, but it will give you a good idea about where you want to set the frequency control.

On the flip side, a slight boost at about 200 Hz or so will help you cut thorugh the band...