1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Adjusting pickup height on Fender Jazz bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Spinal Tapper, Sep 9, 2008.

1. you can press the outer sets of magnets right down flush with the cover, so that the strings are all the same distance from their respective polepieces. I do this all the time when setting these up, and in every case it balances better and lets me get the pickups closer for more output without being too close to the outer strings.[/QUOTE]

I dont really get what you say, press the magnets down flush with the cover... so the stay like that?

2. Can you say "PUP" a few more times?

3. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Dear Mr One,

I think OP moved to Timbuktu in 2010. No internet there so he isn't going to hear your snark remark.

Translation: this thread is 8 years old newbie.

Geri O and RiZzBot like this.
  4. Britbonic

Britbonic Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    True this is an old thread but comes up in searches for Jazz Bass pickup adjustments. In any case, here's an updated link to the Fender Support page for bass setup How do I set up my bass guitar properly?

This is great starting point if you're new to setups and a good reference point if you know what you're doing. I'm usually able to get better results, especially in areas like getting lower action with a flatter fretboard. I just tweaked the pickup heights on my roadworn Jazz to fender specs listed hear and it sound better, more balanced.

30yobass likes this.
  5. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Walter, I hope you remember this part of this discussion. On "that" new Jazz of mine, all the pole pieces are the same level. Is there a way to determine if these new 4th generation pickups (keeping our pup-sensitive friend above happy) have pole pieces that can be moved slightly, other than pushing down on the outer ones and being wrong:jawdrop:? I'm not sure I really need to try this, the bass sounds pretty even as it is.

For what it's worth, when I found the sweet spot for the pickups' (I'm such a sensitive guy, doncha know...:D) height , the bridge unit was slightly higher than the neck unit.

(The Nord NJ5F 70s-wind pups (oops!) have slightly staggered poles pieces. I'm toying with the idea of getting them for this bass down the road)

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i don't remember which jazz you have...

7. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    The American Elite Jazz Five...

8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    OK that's gonna have hum-canceling pickups of some sort, so no the polepieces are not "nudgeable".

9. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Yeah, the "4th Generation Noiseless". Thanx for heading me off of doing something stupid. Take care...