Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adjusting pole pieces on a Jazz Bass ?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bob denard, Mar 19, 2006.

1. bob denard

bob denard

Jul 11, 2003
    Paris, France
    Hi everybody,
    I've been doing some setup work on my MIA Jazz. I have a difference in output between the E (and to a lesser extent the G) and the D and A strings.
    The string height is OK as it matches the neck's curve. But i realised that the pole pieces don't follow that same curve, and i remember seeing it on other basses (the D and A should be higher than the E and G, and they're all flat).
    I got the pickup out but i just don't lnow how to move the pieces. Anyone can help me on that ?

Thanks everybody,
    Cheers,
    Bob

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    You can just lower the E string side and raise the G string side of the pickup using the screws it you want, just tighten the E end.

3. bob denard

bob denard

Jul 11, 2003
    Paris, France
    bump !

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    This mis about the only way to do it. The standard Fender pickups do not have adjustable polepieces.

5. DiMarzio makes adjustable pole pieces pickups.

6. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Most non-adjustable pole pieces are held in place by a combination of friction and wax and it's pretty easy to press them in the direction you want to go.

Just take care not to push to far and also be aware that it's possible to end up with a loose pole if the holes were too big, in which case wax would be the only thing securing it. Anyway, I've done it many times and not had a problem with it, yet....