1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Adjusting Saddles On Hipshot Style Bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by masterbassion, Jun 20, 2007.

1. masterbassion

masterbassion

Jun 20, 2007
    Hi new here so if this has been asked before, my apologies.
    I am new to building basses and have bought a cheap Hipshot style 4 string bass bridge on Ebay. It strings through rear and is not a string thru body type. You know the type, with the channels. I'm just wondering how you move the saddles backwards and forwards to adjust intonation while the strings are tensioned across the saddles. Do you just slacken off the strings, move the saddle, retune, then check intonation again and so on? Is there an easy way to move the saddles? Sorry new to all this. Ebay seller knows nothing about this.

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    A pic might help but I'll give it a try anyway.

My Hipshot bridges all have "travel" screws threaded thru the tailend of the bridge itself and incorporate a spring behind each saddle to maintain tension. My Cirrus's ABM bridge has a small hex screw in each saddle which locks it into the channel. Which better describes your set-up?

Riis

3. masterbassion

masterbassion

Jun 20, 2007
    Thanks for your post. Sorry I cant supply a pic. But your ABM bridge sounds like the same set up. There are no screws with tension springs threaded thru the end of bridge. This bridge just has 2 screws on top of saddle, 1 screw in edge of groove of each saddle and 1 at end of saddle. Hope that helps.

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Sounds like the hex set-screw located at the edge of the saddle may do the trick as it probably locks it into place. If you don't have a complete decent set of hex wrenches, go buy some. Its a must for any bassist. I keep a set in my gig bag.

First off, loosen the set screw a turn or two...no need to remove it. There's no reason to tune down or remove the string; the string and saddle are pretty forgiving. Its difficult to adjust the saddle back and forth with your fingertips as you're dealing with ~100 lbs of pressure or so. I actually use a chopstick (we eat a lot of take-out), place it on either side of the saddle block as warranted, and tap gently with a small hammer to re-position. Stop frequently and verify your progress by checking the 12th fret harmonic and fretted.

Yeah, the practice is time-consuming but you'll save lots of dough.

Riis

Miles_ONeal likes this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021