1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Adjusting string winding location

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bakkster_Man, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Bakkster_Man

Bakkster_Man

Jan 15, 2006
    So I have an issue with my Roto 77s in that the location of the taper of my E string (tuned D) is right on the tuning peg. More concerning is that the thread wrap on the string is sitting on top of the saddle when intonated, and I'm afraid it's going to fray.

My thought has been to get some form of spacer between the ball end of the string and the bridge, but I'm having trouble finding a product which would be appropriate. I'm thinking a small brass cylinder to go over the string before it gets threaded into the bridge to shift the string downwards. I'm also not sure if that would be stable enough to keep the tension, and therefore tuning, consistent.

Any ideas? Has anyone had similar problems, and how did you fix it?

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    The silk is pretty much just there for show (and to cover up ugly windings underneath).

It is ok if it frays, if you cut it back it is going to fray as well. You can put some superglue over it to keep it from fraying...

3. Bakkster_Man

Bakkster_Man

Jan 15, 2006
    There won't be any adverse effects on tone from the silk being too close or the taper sitting on the tuner?

Thanks for the advise on the fraying, I think I'll try that.

4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Not really as long as the string is sitting securely and not moving around or anything like that.

5. Ian_Flash

Ian_Flash

Jan 17, 2013
    Definitely not a problem putting a spacer before the ball end when you load the string. It's done all the time in basses and Acoustic Guitars. Go to Hope Depot and find a spacer, washers or anything, preferably brass, that will fit SECURELY!