Adjusting the bridge on a Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Tankass, Jun 13, 2001.

1. Tankass

Jun 13, 2001
    Sumner, IL
    Can someone help me out and tell me how to adjust the bridge on my standard 4-string Fender Jazz Bass? I know how to adjust the intonation, I just need to know how I should adjust the saddle height.
  2. dytakeda

Jul 18, 2000
    Well, that's really the simpler of the two adjustments. String height is adjusted by the screws through the saddles on either side of the string. I believe you'll need a small allen wrench for current models of Fender.

You'll probably want to set the strings in an arc that follows the arc of the frets. The E and G strings will be lower relative to the A and D. They'll be roughly the same off the frets. The E may be a bit higher than the G, because it'll hit the frets easier because of its large mass.

How high the should all go is a matter of taste and string gauge. If you like to play hard, then they'll need to be rather high. If you like to barely touch'em, they can go right off the frets. String gauge is a factor because thin strings will be looser and have a wider excursion, so they would hit the frets easier than thicker, tighter strings. Hey, and some people like fret buzz. Like I said, a matter of taste.

If you make any large adjustments to the string height, you may want to recheck your intonation.

Best way to learn something like this is to just do it, and keep fiddling with it until you get it the way you like it.