Adjusting the neck (again)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by markus, Jan 30, 2005.

1. markus

Jan 13, 2005
    I need some tips about adjusting the angle of my bass's neck. I have an OLP Musicman and get fretbuzz at the octave, especially on the A string. I've tried raising the strings and it's helped a bit but I don't wanna raise 'em any higher cause that'd ruin my playing. So, I wanna adjust the neck, cause I think that could help. Am I correct, and can someone please tell me how much i should bend it and so on? Thanks in advance

ps. Sorry for creating another thread about this but I didn't find one about this particular problem when I searched. ds.

2. Markus, Keep this in mind. Adjusting the truss tension on the neck is not how you change your action, even though the action will change when you make adjustments.
    Truss tension is only for adjusting the amount of relief/forward bow in the neck.
    Did you read the information at the Gary Willis site. The link is at the top of this page.
    Once you get the relief set right, then you adjust string height. If you aren't getting the low action that you want, you don't go change the neck tension to try to get it.
    That relief needs to be there for the strings to vibrate true, and it remains fairly constant even if you have a high action or low action set. The neck might have to be adjusted from time to time, depending on temperature, humidity, string gauge changes, odd tunings, etc..
    But please read that info. It will really help.

3. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    If buzz is only on one string, then that strings bridge saddle height may just need the adjustment. However,to adjust the neck, assuming it is too low, you may relieve the neck and allow the strings to pull the headstock up by turning the nut counterclockwise if you looking down the neck from the headstock end. Loosen all strings 1st. Don't turn any more than 1/4 turn so the neck can 'settle' in. Retune and check your problem strings.
    Once you get the action where you want it. You may want to check intonation. That's were the open string note is exactly one octave from a 12th fret note. The adjustment is the fwd or rev position of said saddle for that string. Some like to check the 5th vs the 17th fret as the test points.
  4. markus

Jan 13, 2005
    Thanks for your great help guys, haven't tried it out yet tho... As soon as i get some more free time i will. One thing though,

"Did you read the information at the Gary Willis site. The link is at the top of this page."

No I didn't, and I didn't find the site either.... :meh:
  5. jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    Buy yourself a thin pick, like .046.

Place the pick on the 7th fret and hold the low E string on the 1st and 22nd frets, turn the bass up to playing position. If the pick bends, the neck is too straight, if the pick falls down and is not held in place by the string tension, you have too much relief. Relief is its own issue that has nothing to do with action.

You then set your action via the cut of your nut and bridge saddles. If you can not find an action you like w/o fret noise, the frets are probably not flat and you need a fret dress or a refret.

Intonation makes the string play in tune by moving the saddle closer or further from the nut.