Adjusting the neck of my J-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HotRoded, Jun 6, 2003.

1. HotRoded

Jun 6, 2003
    I recently bought a Standard American Fender J-Bass V (my first "real" bass), and the first day I had it, I wanted to tune the truss rod. I like low action, so I wanted to straighten the neck.

After having turned the truss rod bolt 1/4 of a round, without a lot of effect on the neck, something broke, and it turned loose !!!! (and I didn't sleep that night...)

The seller was nice and proposed me an exchange. I am expecting the new one to arrive next week. But having to adjust it to my taste already makes me pretty nervous!

Did anybody have this kind of experience ? Did I do something wrong?
    Any advice / help will be greatly appreciated.

2. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    Perhaps your original truss rod was already tightened as far as it would go. If you're uneasy about making adjustmets to the bass yourself ask the dealer who sold it to you to adjust it for you. Most will include a free set-up/adjustment with a sale.
  3. MattFreemanRock

Nov 30, 2002
    Aren't you supposed to detune your bass before you make a truss-rod adjustment? Maybe you forgot to that. But I'm no expert.

hehe, i typed the majority of that while facing the TV. :D
  4. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    I've never de-tuned, but then again I only adjust an 1/8 to 1/4 (max) of a turn at a time, and then leave it alone until the next day. It takes longer for me to dial the neck in, but I've never screwed one of my necks up doing it that way. De-tuning is helpful if you're trying to straighten a stubborn neck though.
  5. Voice Of Thor

Voice Of Thor Member

May 19, 2003
    First off, you don't know if you actually needed to adjust the truss rod. The truss is meant to establish a uniform bow in the neck. Nothing more. It isn't meant as a "string lowerer." If you need to lower your strings, then lower the strings at the bridge. The best way to know if you need to adjust the truss rod is lower the strings down to where they are comfortable...if there is more buzz in one part of the neck then another (i.e., buzzing high, but not low) you need to adjust it. Lots of people will purchase a long straight edge and feeler gauges and actually measure the relief. This way, there is no "voodoo" about it, and you know that the truss is where it needs to be.
  6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The trussrod is used to adjust the curvature of the neck. That doesn't preclude it from being part of the adjustments you make to lower the strings. I've heard the "not for lowering" stuff for years and it's just not accurate. Ruling out the trussrod adjustment when you're shooting for lower action is a mistake.

You can lower saddles 'til the cows come home but it's doubtful you'll get a bass with more relief to play as low as one with a straighter setting. One relief does not work for all setups. Sounds like the old Zon song again.

Straight edges are handy but hardly mandatory for setting up your personal basses to your personal liking IMO.