1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Adjusting the string spacing...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Aj*, May 12, 2006.

1. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Ok, here's the deal, I've got my Cirrus 6 and have been playing it for quite a while. Now the bass has adjustable string spacing and it's can easily be made a reasonable amount wider over the current setup. Now what I want to know is, how do you people get an even spacing between your strings when you adjust the spacing on strings? Also, the bridge is the ABM standard on all Cirri, do I need to loosen the strings before adjusting the spacing or not? I just fancy wider spacing to get my slapping a little more comfortable on the 6.

2. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Anyone? :p

3. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    Not to sound like an a$$ or anything, but just adjust it and measure so it's even. And loosen the strings if you need to.

4. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Well I have digital calipers but the point is that string spacing to be consistent should be from center to center. Are you saying that I should compensate for the string size in my measurements. Oh well I guess that would work. Off to get the calculator and the calipers then.

5. What was the outcome? I too have a Cirrus 6 but have been a little timid to mess with the bridge. I'm at a point now that I need to so.....

Fletch

6. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    It worked fine, I used the calipers to get even centre to centre spacing which suits my needs just fine. You'll find you need to loosen the strings a bit to make it easy to move the saddles. It was really simple and it does help out a bit having it a bit wider.