Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adjusting the truss rod near body of bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bass87, Nov 6, 2004.

1. I have a Fender Classic 60s Jazz bass which currently buzzes ever so slightly above the 12th fret (actually its only really 14th/15th frets). I've read Gary Willis' setup instruction online and he suggests tightening the truss rod to remove this buzz. He shows a bass where the truss rod is reached near the headstock, however on my Jazz you get at it near the neck.

Sooo basically my question is how do i adjust the truss rod at the body of the bass? Do i need to loosen strings/remove pickguard etc? And what do I use to adjust it as the allen wrench doesnt seem to fit :meh:

2. humm if everything else is adjusted properly, might want to check and make sure that from 12 and up frets are level, that would cause that small amount of buzzing.

3. You should be able to get to it by loosening the strings, then loosening the neck bolts (the ones nearest the bridge loosened a lot, the ones further away a little less). Then tune up, allow to adjust, check relief, lather, rinse, repeat as necessary.