Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adjusting the trussrod?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Suckbird, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    So i bought a bass from germany (i'm swedish) and when i got it was cold as ice and had alot of fretbuzz on it, i was told it was the trussrod and that it has to be adjusted.

So, do you think i should send it to a music store for a setup or try do i tmyself? I've never done it before and i hear it would cost alot to repair it if i messed someting up, so i guess i'll have to sen it to a music store anyway..

So how much do you think it would cost?

2. JonTheBassGuy

JonTheBassGuy

Dec 12, 2004
    I dont like to mess with truss rods. I'm too scared its gonna snap. If its a cheap bass than you should try it but if its expensive. Id definitely have a store do it.

3. EBMatt

EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    Take it to the store. Have the repair guy do it but show you how to do it also.

4. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    The setup forum has a sticky on adjusting truss rods. You actually don;t do much, just quarter turns until it is right. If you are close to being adjusted I doubt yuo will ever turn it more than one full turn.

5. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    Check out the SETUP section - lots of good info there.

This thread should be moved to setup. :cool:

6. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Yeah, well, I just got home. Let's move off to Setup..........

Chris A. :rolleyes: :bassist:

7. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Okay, today i'll take it to a store and get it setup..

It's ibanez btb405, and im european so it's expensive fore me :)