Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adjusting to 35" Scale

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Vox Populi, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I dropped quite a bit of money (for me anyway, starving student) on an Ibanez BTB 405QM a few weeks ago. I'm having trouble adjusting to the 35" scale. I just don't have the same feeling of tightness and groove that I get from a 34" scale. It's kind of making me depressed, because I just spend alot of money on this.

Any suggestions?

2. ThumbyAche

ThumbyAche Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Denver, Colorado
    The only thing I can think of (if you haven't tried already) is to try softer strings like D'Addario XL's or something similar. It might help a little (it did on my Benavente Vortex and my Modulus) but I ended up gettting rid of both with the same complaint you have. I currently use an F-Bass BN-5 and a Benavente SC-5 with 34.5" scales and to me, it's enough of a difference for me to be comfortable with the "B" string. I know that doesn't help you right now but just letting you know that I went through the same thing with the 35" scale. I think it's a common thing when you jump scale lengths on basses. Try the strings first and if you can deal with it, reposition you hand/fingers closer to the neck..