1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Adjusting to 35" Scale

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Vox Populi, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I dropped quite a bit of money (for me anyway, starving student) on an Ibanez BTB 405QM a few weeks ago. I'm having trouble adjusting to the 35" scale. I just don't have the same feeling of tightness and groove that I get from a 34" scale. It's kind of making me depressed, because I just spend alot of money on this.

Any suggestions?

2. ThumbyAche

ThumbyAche Gold Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Oregon
    The only thing I can think of (if you haven't tried already) is to try softer strings like D'Addario XL's or something similar. It might help a little (it did on my Benavente Vortex and my Modulus) but I ended up gettting rid of both with the same complaint you have. I currently use an F-Bass BN-5 and a Benavente SC-5 with 34.5" scales and to me, it's enough of a difference for me to be comfortable with the "B" string. I know that doesn't help you right now but just letting you know that I went through the same thing with the 35" scale. I think it's a common thing when you jump scale lengths on basses. Try the strings first and if you can deal with it, reposition you hand/fingers closer to the neck..