Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adjusting to a 7 String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bbob24, Dec 30, 2002.

1. bbob24

bbob24

May 23, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Hi all, I've had major gas the last couple months now for a 7 string bass. I was wondering if any of you 7 stringers had any problems adjusting? I'm currently playing a 5 string and selling my 4 string Ric and I was thinking about using the Ric proceeds to get a used 7 string.

Any thoughts?? Thanks for your time

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I moved to a 7 from a 6 and had no problems at all adjusting. It's like anything else: just put in the time. Good luck. :D

3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I pretty much did the same as boogiebass. Had been playing 6'ers for years, so it was rather painless to go to 7 string.

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i went directly to unlined fretless 7 from 4, so the adjustment was a bit rough for a little while, but thankfully that was a long (~9 years) time ago. :)

one thing that helped me was that when i started to play 7 i put the 4's away, and i haven't played them since. there's nothing you can do on a 4 that you can't on a 7.

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    When I had my 7, I had gone from a 4 to a 7, and the only real problem I had, was forgetting about the F string. Meaning that I'd pull it instead of the C, also, once you get over the fact that it's a 7, you'll be fine. There's one other thing: JT challenging you to a duel to the death. Once you get pass THAT, you'll be fine!

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    No problems here. Had to get used to the string spacing, but the increased range and flexibility was easy to take advantage of.

7. bbob24

bbob24

May 23, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it.

woodchuck, as far as the dual to the death, I think I'll pass.

Thanks again everyone, I think I'll be the proud owner of a brand spanking used 7 stringer in the next couple of weeks.

8. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Whacha planning on getting?

9. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    ooo, do tell :) remember to post pics and reviews and all that good stuff.

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Definitely post pics. String spacing wasn't a real problem for me; I went from a five to my seven, and my five actually has narrower spacing than my seven. String-skipping hammer-ons and slapping without having the high C and F ringing were and are my biggest obstacles. Other than that, it was a fairly easy transition. The weight doesn't even bother me-it's always strange to me when people complain about the weight of their alder jazzes.

11. richie

richie

Dec 12, 2002
    San Diego County
    I have a Conklin bd-7 and I use it for writing and some gigs. Although its quite heavy it has the biggest sound of all basses I've ever played. I went for a 6 also and no problem ajusting. It gets the looks too on stage!
    Richie

12. I went from 4 to 5 to 6 to 7 over many years so it wasn't a drastic change. I went from a 6-string Warwick Corvette to a 7-string Hanewinckel. The Hanewinckel felt so good and natural that I never played the Warwick again and sold it ( it was a great bass though ).

However, I do now own two 6-string Hanewinckels. A fretted and fretless. When I play with other people, I usually play the 6-string fretted. I also have a 7-string fretless in addition to my 7-string fretted.

- Dave

13. bbob24

bbob24

May 23, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pa
    I found a used USA made Conklin 7 string club model on the web that I was seriously thinking about. I love that sidewinder body style. the only possible drawback is that it's only a 34" scale, but I may go for it anyway.

Thanks for all the input, I do appreciate it.

14. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    where'd you find it? i have quite a few usa made conklins, and believe me, the 34" scale length is not a problem. both of my 8's are 35"'s and to be honest, there's not that much difference between them, even tuned to a low F#.

are you talking about the one at bassnw? that's a pretty cool bass, it's actually one of the first 7's bill made, a long time ago. for 1200 that's a really good deal.

15. bbob24

bbob24

May 23, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pa
    That's the one John. It seems like a good deal, I just wish a hard case came with it, but I can always get one.

The gas is really pumping now!!!!!

16. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    will you have a chance to play it before you get it?

17. bbob24

bbob24

May 23, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Unfortunately I won't get the chance to play it first, it's on the other side of the country. But I've heard a lot of good things about them, and they have an aproval period, so I'm pretty comfortable about it

18. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that bass used to be available at the bass palace. you could shoot bob or bernie over there a question as see if they can give you any pointers about it.

19. bbob24

bbob24

May 23, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pa
    So it's been around a little. That probably explains the price. I'm going to call bassnw when I'm finished work here and see what I can find out.

20. Ever since Ive adjusted to my 5'er with a high C, playing 7 strings havent been much of a problem at GC:D . I'm pretty much used to a low B even though I don't use one, I feel at home with it, its just a lower string. its odd, playing 6ers at the store when my 4 string was my main bass, it was tough, but ever since I got the 5'er, I can take on a 7 without much problem, I know all the notes on the B string and C, so it doesn't take much effort to figure out the notes on the F string. I eventually want to get a 9 string :eek: but my amp can't handle a low B, nevermind a low F#...
    wow...

fart away my amp!