Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

adjusting tone with 2 band vs 3 band

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dunamis, Jan 29, 2006.

1. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    A question about the boost-only pre's (Aguilar OBP-1) that I've always wondered about:

If you want to cut the treble freq's with a 2-band eq, and there's no "cut" control, you would boost the bass and then cut the volume knob to compensate for the increased volume.

Doesn't that produce the same result as cutting treble on a boost-and-cut control? (Note: I realize the frequency center of the treble controls on the two preamps may differ but, for the purposes of this question, let's assume they are the same.)

Thanks!

2. Wouldn't it be simpler to just turn down the treble on your amp?

3. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    I was using a fender deluxde j with three band eq. I'm usually a passive bass guy, but the band i'm in needed a more 'modern" sound. Anyway, i found that i rarely used the boost--typically I would cut treble and sometimes, if I wanted more midrange, cut bass as well. I never used the midrange control. If I wanted a quick slap tone, for example, It sounded better to boost bass and treble than to cut midrange.

IMHO unless you're a hard core slapper it almost always sounds more natural to cut rather than boost. It's a rule of thumb when recording that if you want something to sound better, cut, if you want it to sound different, boost. I'd never get a boost only preamp but you can see how it works for Marcus Miller, who always has that really extreme smiley eq sound

I decided to replace the fender preamp with an aguilar opb-2, which has treble and bass cut and boost. The bass is in the shop and I hope to get it back this week

4. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    PB+J

Thanks for your insight! I have heard that before (the comment about recording rule of thumb) and that's what prompted my question.

I once asked if the OBP-1 produced gain when set flat or if the output would be just that of the pickups (essentially, passive). Sometimes it's hard to tell based on the responses, but I think the answer was that with both knobs set flat the output is essentially the same as a passive bass (assuming the pickups are not the active type).

I have OBP-1 in two basses, and find that mostly I leave it flat (no boost on bass or treble), or perhaps just a bit of bass boost. Kind of makes me think about going back to passive controls!

5. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    I've always been a passive bass guy. I generally use an avalon U5 as my preamp, and it only has passive tone controls--cut only. I found with the active fender that if I boosted more than just a little bit it quickly got sort of artificial sounding. If you cut the treble and bass, you're effectively boosting the mids, and it sounded better than if I bossted the mids with the mid knob. Sometimes with the active fender I'd end up cutting bass and treble and it got me much closer to a passive bass sound

When I get the bass back it's supposed to have an active/passive bypass switch, so I can compare.

I tried a passive Dingwall he other day that sounded great--a huge tonal variation without the boosty active sound