Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adjusting truss rod

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jarski, Mar 16, 2003.

1. My neck's a little bent-out-of-shape, and I know it could be fixed by simply adjusting the truss rod, but every time I begin to adjust it my hands start to shake and sweat because i'm afraid i'll just screw the whole thing and spoil the neck permanently.. The neck's only a little bent towards the strings. Anyone know how much the truss rod should be tightened for just a little straightening..? I know it's hard to say without any measures..

2. even with measurements, it's tough to gauge how much to turn the truss rod nut.

just loosen the strings, maybe apply a bit of pressure in the direction you want the neck to bend, and tighten the truss rod by 1/4 turn or even 1/8 turn if you're really nervous. Then retune the strings and leave it overnight....at least.....repeat the process until you have the relief you want.

just don't really crank the truss rod. it does take some force, but shouldn't be impossible to turn.

3. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Seems like sound advice to me. :)

Pkr2

4. Thanks, it helped a lot. Now i can play again without swearing constantly..:bassist:

5. Happy to help. i know i needed lots when i started playing with the truss rod...