Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adjustments to MIM Jazz for slapping

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by notanewbie, Jun 1, 2001.

1. Please Let me know if you own a Newer MIM Jazz and you slap, and if so what Adjustments have you made, I just bought a new one and I can't get the sound right. Do you have to adjust or change the pickups, strings, Bridge? Please Let me know.

2. jazzbass1

jazzbass1

Dec 2, 2000
    Funny, I was just doing some adjustments to mine just now. I don't know how hard you play, but I have a fairly light touch, so I keep my action pretty low, with no fret buzz. I also have a very slight amount of relief in the neck, almost straight. That, and with some Smith 95-40's gives me a pretty good slap sound. I also changed the pickups to some stock MIA's, that helped a bunch. I did install a Badass II bridge, but I don't think that's a must.

3. Hey Jazzman thanks for the advice, I will be taking a trip to the guitar shop in the morning, I think I have the action set just about perfect for my style, I will be picking up some strings and the MIA's thanks again.

4. ...I slap on my MIM J-Bass and it sounds OK. Then again I don't really need to be heard in Saturn nor do I have the amp for that.

Also, money is a factor...I can´t afford a MIA yet.