Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adler Basses...anyone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JRBrown, Nov 20, 2004.

1. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Any body ever own or play an Adler bass? If so, please share the experience; do tell all.

- What do they cost?

Thanks,

JB

Attached Files:

2. DannyB

DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    Don't know about Adler... but my alder bass plays real nice

(insert rim shot here)

3. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    ya, they do play nice
    i really like my alder rockbass

4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Played one at Summer NAMM.. Excellent bass!! Better than the Warrior I played, no doubt (IMO)!!

5. PhunkyElephant

PhunkyElephant

Oct 9, 2004
    I remember you saying that an MTD (6-string was it) was the best bass you played at Summer NAMM. How did the Adler compare to it in terms of tone, playability and craftsmanship?

6. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Of the two I would choose the MTD over the Adler, and that says nothing of any kind of inferiority in the Adler bass. It was excellent and IMO equal in every way (construction, playability) with the MTD. The MTD just had an overall tone, grit and growl that appealed to me more.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7012

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7010

7. This post is giving me dyslexia :D

Nice looking bass!!

8. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    I own one Adler, and have three on the way. They are light weight ,have thin neck profiles, and the necks don't move. They practically play themselves.

9. Hey Garry,

Could you give us an idea of what your basses will be like?

10. Cool, Garry! Should be an incredible bass.

11. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I own three Adlers(an 8,a standard 4 and my 4 string fretless Subcontra)and I am in the process of having a fretted 5 and a fretless 6 made as well.of all the multi string Basses(7+) I have played my Adler 8 has the most comfortable neck I have yet to encounter and it's extreamly strong.at the Jan 04 NAMM show with all due respect Bill Conklin and Fred Bolton(of Bee Basses)stopped by Adlers booth and were blown away by my 8 strings Thin neck and it's strong stability.I recenly finished my debut CD(it will be released very soon)and the only Bass I used was my Adler Subcontra Bass.I am very Proud of this recording,the Bass recorded very well.Bill Dickens stopped by while we were in the Studio and was Just Blown away(if any of you happen to run into B.Dickens ask him what he thought of the recording).in a few days or so Mike Adler will have some Video clips of me up on his site from my performance at the Detroit Bass Fest playing my Standard 4 string Adler.I feel that Mike Adler is a very talented Luthier and I think he has a very very bright Future and if he's turning out top notch Basses at this point in his youg Life just Imagine what the Future of Adler Guitars will really bring us.

12. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I played an Adler today along with a bunch of Warriors and was not impressed with either. Both provided great eye candy but were lacking sonically.

13. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    Lacking sonically...could you be more specific?
    What kind of wood was the top and sides?
    oh, by the way, what store did you play the bass at?
    Was it a new 2004 model?

14. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Certainly. The bass lacked tonal variety. It was a maple bass. I played them at the Philly guitar show. I have no idea when it was made.

Very well made instrument as was the Warrior. Unfortunately they seemed to lack inspiration in the tone department. I found them one dimensional in timbre.

15. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    So the Adler bass was a maple top,maple neck,maple body. Was this the only Adler bass you have ever played?
    I am trying to figure how "they seemed to lack inspiration in the tone department" translates into technical terms to better understand your assesment.
    "Inspiration", as in the EQ controls were ineffective? For instance:
    Inspiration= + 6db at 3k? Was this a 4,5 or a six string? Would you please explain the phrase"one dimensional in Timbre" ? Thanks

16. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i didn't write down the specific wood recipe. I seemed to have touched a nerve here. The bass seemed flat. The controls didn't seem to offer much variation in color.

The timbre seemed one dimensional; i do not think i can put it any more plainly.

17. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Gary, I don't think he meant anything personal by it. No need to get your nose out of joint over it. He didn't like it for whatever reason and that's fine. Doesn't mean you're wrong by owning four. Different strokes, you know..

:meh:

18. jusplayinmybass

jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
    I just think that he ment that it didn't grab him. I've played basses that didn't grab me from most manufacturers. Nobody makes every bass for everybody. I love Ken Smiths, but I've played one or 2 that I hated. No real reflection on the luthier. I still love Ken Smiths. It might be the woods. It might be something as small as the strings. Or it might not even be the bass. It might be the amp or your mood that day. My point is Don't judge a luthier by one bass. B Easy

Myron

19. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I certainly wasn't judging the luthier I just didn't dig the bass. plain and simple.

20. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    ok-but is was the only Adler you've played, correct?