Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adler Sub Contra Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JAUQO III-X, Feb 12, 2004.

1. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  2. kmacleish

kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Unbelieveable . . . a 4-string bass whose highest open string is 41.20 hertz. And the others are:

B = 30.87
    F#= 23.12
    c#= 17.32

It boggles the mind to think of an amplification system that could do this justice. The only speaker I am aware of that could hit that kind of low end is the Sound Physics Lab (SPL) Contrabass (interesting coincidence of names, huh?), which is rated at an unbelieveable -3db at 15 Hz. And to get any sort of definition at those frequencies . . .excuse me, my mind is boggling . . . This would probably have to be outlawed in California for fear of inducing the next big earthquake.

I WANT one!!

3. kmacleish

kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    So, hey, Jauqo - what is it like to play? And how are you amplifying yours?

4. Wow. Funny, I had the idea of a bass tuned E-A-D-G, but down an octave from standard. This takes it even furthur. The mind boggles. Two questions: What's the scale length? What are the string guages?

5. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I'm guessing the C# is about three feet wide.

6. kmacleish

kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    According to Jauqo's interview on www.12stringbass.net , the gauges are:

C# = .185
    F# = .165
    B = .125
    E = .100

which suggests it is 34-35" scale. Does not state the scale, though.

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Id really dig something like that as a five string with a high A added.

Peace
    Nick

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Victor Basson of Basson sound was so impressed with the sound he heard,that he's made a cab specificly with the Low C# in mind.the Bass has a 34" scale.I have used various Cab and amp combinations over the years and I allways come back to at least a 2 4x10 rig and a minimum of 500wts.the Low C# is very clear and not muddy at all like most would think.

9. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    show off...

10. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    :)

11. adlerguitars

adlerguitars

Nov 15, 2003
    Beaumont, CA
    Just a point of housekeeping: By tomorrow morning you should be able to click on the pics and get the full sized image.

Now back to your thread already in progress...

12. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Hey Nick Man a five with a High A is more than possible. :hyper:

and

If anyone wants to check out the fretted one,you can do so if you're in or near Denver,Co.at the store Guitar X.

and

the Fretless one is mine.just think of a serious Lyrical Bass Synth with a human feel. ,with that added low end Growl if needed.

13. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    That is pretty freakin' incredible... and not because I'm thinking of using it for death metal! I'm not, although you may want to hide this thread once Devilman shows up... :smug:

It would be hard enough to put together a (unaffordable) rig to play that instrument through... how do you expect people to listen to it? I mean, what will the recording sound like through your typical boom box or car stereo? I'm very much looking forward to hearing some teaser samples Jauqo!
    :ninja:

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Well, Im sure they could pull it off, but Im also sure that I have another cab or two in line followed by a bigger power amp, followed by a Valenti or two, followed by......

Well you get the picture. ;)

Peace
    Nick

15. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    For what it's worth , I have been recording with and playing gigs using an Adler bass with Jauqo's C# string . The lower four strings, C# , F# , B and E are clear ,clean and punchy. The C# string is particularly effective between the 7th and 14th fret . Playing the open C# through a speaker cab that can handle the string is truly an experience to remember. I played through a Basson 4X10 ,1000 watt with 200 once magnets , and a Basson 8x10. Threre is a new Basson full range cab specifically designed to handle the low C# (17Hz).

My ear is leaning to" hear "the string ,and I am becoming better at tuning the string without using a tuner.

16. BariBee2000

BariBee2000

Jan 19, 2004
    I was able to experience the low C# string at NAMM through the Basson cabinets!!! You could sorta hear, but really feel it on the other end of the show floor.

17. korchm

korchm

Jul 17, 2003
    toronto, canada
    whoa! i haven't experienced any of those notes yet. how do they sound? i am guessing you can hardly hear them...but you will be able to feel them right?

peace
    korch

18. Jauqo, I'd really like to hear some samples of your sub-contra-bass. I'm with the "too low to hear the fundamental" camp, but after reading your "Low C# theory" on Adler's website, I must say I'm intrigued.

Since I'm trapped in Canada's deepest place, I can't try the sub-contra-bass for myself, so it would be really cool if you posted some soundclips. :)

Cheers!

19. guys, hate to tell ya but you better have one rockin sound system or the sound clips arent goin to sound like much of anything. i remember progzillas low f# clip and my speakers kinda farted on those notes =\

20. Jauqo, what ever happened to your Surine sub-contra? How does this one compare?