Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Admit it: your amp fetish is stronger than your bass fetish.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Apr 5, 2004.

1. I have a bass fetish. More basses than amps.

30 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. I have an amp fetish. More amps than basses.

32 vote(s)
    32.0%
  3. I'm a square. Equal ratio of basses and amps.

30 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. I have a carrot fetish. Don't laugh.

8 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I've got way more amps than I do basses; one bass, four amps. See?

[​IMG]

I can't be the only guy who likes amps more than instruments. So, bass GAS or amp GAS? Which is the stronger of the two evils?

2. yeah! All you really need is one good bass and a whole shwack! :ninja: of kick you in the pants goodness, after all, it's how it feels in the pants that gets most of us off. :D

3. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Guilty as charged. I've alway been of the opinion that tone has more to do with your amp than your bass. :cool:

4. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Personally, I have a fetish for old men popping balloons...

errr... I mean... I'm more into basses and guitars. I tend to waste a lot of cash... bought a new custom guitar, and then decided to go full on bass. Oh well. It's really hard to say though... I'm into really nice cabs, but my poweramp is just a good old QSC PLX 1202, and I don't use any preamp tone shaping. I really like the pure, hi-fi sound of my bass without any additives.

5. Leffe

Leffe

Dec 8, 2003
    SWEDEN
    NO NO NO NEVER NEVER ;) :D

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Nope - I just want amplification to faithfully reproduce the sound of my bass(es) and be reliable.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    :rolleyes: oooooohhhhhh yea, do i have an "amp" fetish...

boy, oh boy, do i have one... :meh:

hmmm... maybe i should have it checked out. :bag:

then again, once you start playing Sadowsky's, you tend to stop with the basses. ;)

8. I've got 4 basses and 5 amps so I'm pretty close to 50/50......................basstraixis, ....
    How much does that thing weigh :confused: My back hurts just looking at it.

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Let's see here, I am really strongest in the "cab fetish" category, but suffice it to say that I have problems all the way around:

22 bass cabinets
    2 heads
    2 power amps
    4 preamps
    1 combo
    5 electric basses
    1 ABG
    1 URB

Believe it or not, I actually am looking into getting rid of some of those bass cabs! Like maybe three or four.

Tom.

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    13 basses vs. 10 amps. Too many, any way you look at it :meh:

11. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    5 cabs
    3 heads
    1 combo
    1 rack set-up
    6 or 7 basses

Happy with the basses as of now...looking to add to the amps.

12. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I currently have more basses than I do amps/cabs, but I have found (as i build my own stuff) that as it's a lot easier & faster to build cabinets than it is to build basses, so my cabinet supply is noticeably increasing faster than my bass supply ;)

13. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    About 250 pounds. I don't take it to gigs, it's just a convenient (and cool looking) way of storing them.

14. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    FunkyCarnivore is the all-time king of Bass fetish.

JokerNYC is the all-time king of Amp fetish.

I've tried to learn from these masters to be the perfect blend. I'm like frickin Bruce Lee.

Why choose? All gear is fun. Don't discriminate.

15. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    While I have 6 basses and 4 bass amps, I'm really more interested in the amps... Of the four amps, one is a combo, one is a head and the other two are rack systems (consisting of two preamps, three poweramps and 10 bass cabinets). Add to that 5 guitars, 3 guitar amps (two combos, one head/cabinet), a small mixer and four PA cabinets and I too have too much gear.

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hehe... :cool:

17. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    7 cabs
    2 head
    3 pre
    2 power
    2 combos
    14 basses...
    Nope. I like basses...

18. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Hey BT, this is why you're confused... an amp IS an instrument, so the question is an oxymoron. :smug:

An amp gives you different sounds and responses to various techniques that you can't get out of a bass by itself, or with a hi-fi purist rig. If your rig was a car, the bass would be your controls (steering, gas, brake), the amp is your transmission (drive train/gearbox), and cabinets are the tires. It all works together to get you from point A to point B. And it's perfectly valid to change out parts for different driving styles, roads, or conditions.

Of course you can expand on that analogy, i.e. a girlfriend is an airbag, a retardist is a paint job, a manager is a catalytic converter, etc etc. :p

19. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Currently have one bass, one rack rig, one cab.

I mis-voted on the side of amps (I seem to spend probably 4x as much time in the "Amps" forum as I do the "Bass Guitar"), but after I thought about it I believe that a combo (iAmp-350), a couple of amp systems and two to five cabs would cover all amp gas.
    On the bass guitar side, I'm not real sure, but I think it would take at least five to ten basses to cover my five string gas.

20. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I find that I spend waaay more time looking at basses than at amps... but, you know all amps look the same, but not all basses - all those custom options, the different figuring of the wood, ... So, then this means bass fetish ... and a lot of GAS :bawl: