Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adobe Audition?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by werbo1, Sep 2, 2005.

1. I was wondering if adobe auditon is a good program to use for editing music and such? Is it possible that i can only use this program to mix and do whatever need sot be done or will i need other porgrams too for my recordings?

I'm planning on going into the line in part of my soundcard then usign adobe auditon for the rest. will this work?

2. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I don't know anyone who uses this, although I've met a few using Cool Edit Pro, Audition's predecessor. I couldn't say much for quality, etc but it does all the usual recording and editing you'd expect from any DAW these days.

3. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    It's a good program. Here is a good link which compares the top 3 editors and explains what they are used for:
    http://www.music-software-reviews.com/audio_editors.html
    I use Sound Forge 8 with excellent results. These editors are used for editing/mastering your stereo track after you have recorded and mixed it down. If you want to record/mix more than two tracks (actually one stereo track), then you need a sequencer. I'm using Cubase SE, which is around $100, Sonar and Ableton Live are also great programs. Live 5 will be my next purchase, it does things none of the others do. There are also some free sequencers such as Krystal, but I don't have any experience with them.

4. Yes. It's a nice, inexpensive solution for multi-tracking.

5. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    I stand corrected, a little research shows that Audition does have multi-track capabilities. 128 tracks actually. Still, check out that link I posted and make sure it will do what you want.

6. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    It is nice, but there are more inexpensive options out there. Maybe not as powerful but it depends how in-depth you want to get.

7. its great - been using it for ages, my mate even used it to mix his 2nd year degree project which (according to the brief) was supposed to be mixed on Protools - think he got a B :eek:

MODERATOR EDIT:- SORRY ADDY, EVERYONE LIKES FREE STUFF, BUT IN THE INTERESTS OF KEEPING TALKBASS ON THE AIR, WE CAN'T BE SEEN TO BE ENDRDING SOFTWARE PIRATING.

It is all cracked by H20

;) ;)

8. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    That's not very ethical, now, is it? In fact, it is downright theft.

9. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    it's a nice program.
    it can mix and match waves with MP3's.

it's very powerful...from recording multitrack to mastering.
    I recommend it!!

10. It'll be obsolete when the new version comes out... ;)

11. Yeah, you're probably right.

Although I don't personally use it, I've recorded at people's homestudios who use it and they are able to do everything needed. I don't really like the user interface as much as other more expensive software.

12. DaveMcLain

DaveMcLain

Jun 19, 2005
    Cuba MO
    Adobe Audition/Cool Edit Pro is an excellent program that I've used a great deal on several project over the last 5 or 6 years. Cool Edit Pro 2.0 became Audition and it's MUCH BETTER than Cool Edit Pro 1.2 or any earlier versions, everything works better.

Audition supports Direct X and VST plug-ins so there are many high quality processors that you can use, I use Waves for reverbs and dynamics all within Audition.

Being able to lock tracks with effects is cool to because it saves so much processing horsepower also, if you have a plug in that you bought you can use it as many times as you want in a multi track session, something like a compressor can be used on every track if you want to, very cool...

About 2 years ago I got to compare Audition with Pro Tools one on one. I didn't see anything that Pro Tools could do that Audition could not. Sure Pro Tools works good and it's a standard but it's also incredibly costly and it would be rediculous for my situation. The buss mixing in Audition is also superior to just about ANY application so you can record and mix your project all within Audtion and have it sound great.

Audition and other programs like it are not perfect, they require LOTS of computer power particularly IO. You need to have several fast hard drives for best results. Right now I use 3 10,000rpm SCSI drives and I'm quite happy with the workflow.

13. Jeff Martinez

Jeff Martinez

May 10, 2005
    Denver, CO
    My band has been using Cool Edit Pro/ Audition for 4 years and we've loved it. Our latest CD was done entirely in Audition 1.5.

I have found Audition to be incredible easy to use. When I'm doing full compostions and scores, I program the midi in Cakewalk, and transfer it to Audition to engineer everything.