Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adrian Belew album

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by JamesM, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Has anybody heard his new album, 'Side One'. It has Danny Carey on drums and Les Claypool on bass.

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Is it out yet? I've been hearing about it forever.

brad cook

3. on Belews official site it says its out now.

4. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    I heard a few tracks, but not enough to form much of an opinion. Definitely some cool grooves, I'd like to hear the rest of it.

5. Claypool and Carey are only on the first 3 tracks, the rest of the tracks are mostly played by Adrian. It's a good cd but don't expect to be blown away by the bass playing.

6. whats danny's drumming like?

7. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    The first four or five tracks are really cool. I lose interest after that.

Belew's guitar work is definitely the most impressive feature...go figure.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Wait, so it isn't a Trio band, it's just Clay and Car on a few tracks. Booooo. :spit:

9. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Side Two and Side Three are still to come, they will be released later this year. Claypool and Carey will return again on Side Three.

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    My boo was only a mild boo because Belew is awesome by his own powers.

11. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Yes, he is. I just got Zappa's Baby Snakes DVD, hadn't seen it in years. I forgot how strong both Belew and Bozzio were, even then. Belew is in a freak wonderland and loving it.

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I still need to get Belew's "Salad Days" acoustic CD. I really like what I've heard of that.

brad cook

13. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    It's an interesting record. I like Adrian's bass playing as much as Les's - obviously he doesn't have the chops, but he does have a really nice sense of groove & some cool sounds. Les & Danny are pretty much playing like caffienated fiends on the first two tracks, the third track they're a little more laid back, but actually I think Les's best playing is on that one...Danny's working out on tabla so there's a little more sonic space.

14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    It's fantastic!

15. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I ordered it from the local store today, should be in Monday.

16. Caeros

Caeros

Jul 24, 2002
    Branford, CT
    I was really impressed with Ade's bass playing and drumming. I knew he was a drummer, but not that he was that good, and his grasp of bass playing sounds like it came from the Tony Levin school!

17. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    On the Three of a Perfect Pair Live in Japan LaserDisc (which is also available on DVD) he plays drums on one song where Bruford goes nuts on the electronic stuff. Ade's playing is great! He's one of the most brillitnatly talented all-around musicians I've ever heard. Many of his albums are him playing everything and he pulls it off like very few else could.

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I listened to the album a little at FYE: Whoa, this is crazy. I'm going to have to get this at some point.

19. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    this is a damn good album, even though I'm only one track in.

20. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Well, you play a couple hundred shows with the guy, something's bound to rub off. ;)