Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adrian Davison

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by sobie18, Apr 15, 2004.

1. I have his 4 solo CD's and all I can say is WOW!!!!!! UNBELIEVEABLE!!!! His 2-handed tapping technique is flawless and unFREAKINreal! I cannot explain how phenomenonal he is...

Y'all know how Sheehan taps...how Stu Hamm taps/pops/slaps...and how Wooten can do some scary stuff on a bass...Well, Adrian took it to the next level (his first CD was released in '89!) and it just has to be heard to be understood. You would swear there were overdubs (which there is NOT). I recommend that y'all check him out...

I ran a search/did an inquiry and contacted Adrian personally. He lives in Canada (Toronto) and still has his 4 CD's available for purchase along with an instructional video (which I will get soon...). Yes, he is still alive and doesn't play much anymore due to CTS. I would kill to take some private lessons from Adrian...

You can order his CD's & video by contacting Music.Products@interlog.com or e-mail JCI Accounting at lynbest@interlog.com

Definitely a recommend and MUST have.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    German bass mag Bass Professor www.bassprofessor.de printed an interview with Adrian a while back. He had to quit playing due to tendinitis or CTS (can't remember exactly), he is now a forensic investigator.

I always wanted to check out at least one of his albums, time to get one.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I remember reading about Davison's first CD on BP at that time. At the time, Davison was marketing himself as the world's fastest bass player (31 notes per second, IIRC, which is a joke). BP actually ridiculed him at the time, which I thought was very unprofessional. Ignoring the guy would be ok but using magazine space to make the guy look bad wasn't cool.

I keep an eye out for his cds in bargain bins every time I shop. Not high on my priority list.

4. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Actually, the string company that he got endorsed by marketed him like that. AFAIK he never did that himself.

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    31 notes in one second, that is extremely fast no wonder he has wrist problems

6. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It was more the amount of practicing that did him in, his style was more piano-like tapping stuff, not the speed-triplets a la Sheehan.

But this is hearsay, I haven't heard his stuff yet.

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Oh, that sucks about the wrist problems though. I was having some wrist trouble for several months before I found that I have a rare genetic disorder that somethimes causes bone growth unexpectedly/during growth spurts. One of these growths began in my wrist and basically began to fuse the two bones in the arm together. I had to have surgery three weeks ago to correct the problem. I am still doing physical therapy to try to get full range of movement back.

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    All the more reason for BP to have left the guy alone, IMO.

Hey< Sobie, where did you get the CDs?

9. Use the e-mail address from my first post above (the Music.Interlog adddress) or e-mail Lyn Best directly.

I really think that you will dig it; the playing, technique, and compositions are nothing short of amazing.

10. I'm ordereing his Instructional Video today and I'll let y'all know how it is...Peace.

11. I have his instructional video.
    Its pretty cool to see him actually play "Yesterday", his technique is very much a keyboard style playing. I like his stuff, but after a few songs its start to all sound the same to me. Also very neat seeing his rig in the video. All kinds of stereo amps and effects
    Lastly, he doesn't speak one word in the video, its a female voice over explaining everything. If you like to practice new stuff, this video is for you. Adrian breaks everything down into arppeggio, and then breaks the note sequences between his left and right hand, which must take months of learning. Now doubt that this style of play contributed to his physical problems
    frank

12. Joe Garage

Joe Garage

Mar 13, 2005
    I think he is an extremely underrated bass player! Shame that he cant play like that anymore.

:crying: