Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adrian Davison

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by JMX, Jul 30, 2004.

1. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Anybody remember him?
    He now has a real website, with pics, and a cd shop.
    There are four sound samples too, so now you can get a glimpse of what the buzz was about.

www.adriandavison.com

I'm considering getting the CDs. Very nice tapping.

2. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Didn't this guy just literally disappear for a long time? Or am I thinking of someone else?

3. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Yup. He stopped playing years ago.

4. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I also supposed that he disapeared from the musical scene.
    I never had the chance to listen to his stuff, but never liked
    those ads in Bass Player where he promoted himself as "the world`s fastest bass player .... who often exceeds 32 notes per second".

May be he`d slowed down a bit and now it`s time to
    give him a chance. :p

5. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Small correction, he was promoted as such, AFAIK he never said that himself.

6. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Yes, you`re right.
    But I suppose he should`ve known that before printing it.

7. Thonk

Thonk

Sep 14, 2003
    UK
    I placed an order for all 4 of adrian's cd's and his dvd by mail about 2 weeks ago im told my order was dispatch saturday just gone so im hopping it will arrive within the next few days

i'll let you guys know what i think after ive had a good listen/watch

8. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Sounds a lot better than I imagined.

Too bad about his publicity being so bad.

9. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Knowing and being able to do something about it are two different things in the real (corporate) world...

10. Adrian supposedly stopped playing bass due to wrist/hand problems. He was interviewed in the past yr in an online bass magazine. Said hes doing different stuff now, but can't play at all.
    I too have his DVD and 2 CD.
    Its real interesting, but IMO to complex to listen to. It starts to sound the same after a few minutes, and while i totally respect his tappin style, and his impeccible technique, I've not found a way or place to incorporate much of two handed tapping it into anythng but my practice regamin. But Adrain got that in spades, and no doubt th eguy can play
    On the DVD whats cool is him playing his interpertation of the beatles "yesterday" where he has broken down the whole song into tapped arpeggios, and alternates betwen his two hands to play either lead notes or chord pieces. very talented, too bad about the inuries

11. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    It's somewhat wanky, but very pretty.

Too bad about the misleading PR. Given his look and the cheesy ads I used to see, I figured his music was going to be a Racer X-style crapfest. Someone should have told him to cut his hair.

12. Joe Garage

Joe Garage

Mar 13, 2005
    I think his music is quite amazing. Cant wait to see that DVD!

13. Basshammer

Basshammer

Feb 25, 2005
    Florida, USA
    I bought all of Adrian's albums on cassette and also his instructional video back in the early 90's when he was still playing. He caught a lot of unfair abuse because of that dopey ad. It's too bad, because he's better than ANYBODY at tapping. Seriously, he's way beyond Billy Sheehan, Michael Manring, Stu Hamm, or whoever. If you check his stuff out, and know of a better tapper, please let me know who it is.

14. Couldn't agree with you more!!! Adrian Davison is the God of tapping......funny thing, is if you buy one of his CDs, he does a lot more that just tapping. I was surprised at the wicked picking and harmonic techniques he uses.

If you haven't heard of him, then either you've been locked away in a desert island or you were just born yesterday.

Highly recommended www.adriandavison.com check out his soundpage example.....very cool!!!!