Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ads For Bass Players;

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ziggy, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    Was checking out some ads for 'Musicians Wanted', and came across a couple that struck me as somewhat humorous...

"Punk Band seeking 'serious minded' bass player..." hmmm??

Or this one, even more mind boggling;

"Punk Band seeks 'talented' bass player..." again, I say huh?

Personally, I don't believe I know of any 'serious minded' bassists that would seriously consider joining a punk band...

As for talented??.. Just how much talent does it require for one to play a string of root notes for three chords??
    michael s.

2. Wownirvana

Wownirvana

Jul 7, 2002
    Athens, GA
    Go listen to some real punk and don't make assumptions when you don't even know what it is. Some punk bands do use just root notes but most of them don't. There are some awesome punk bass players out there. And I am a serious-minded bass player and I like to play punk. You can debate the talented part but I DO NOT play only root notes. I leave that to Blink 182.

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    JJ Burnell.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

"Punk" is no longer a "life stlye" like it was in the late 70's.

Nowadays, it's just a musical style that requires big bucks for the gear.

5. Wownirvana

Wownirvana

Jul 7, 2002
    Athens, GA
    I also find this to be untrue. You can argue all day long on if there is still a punk lifestyle. I think there still is one. But it definitely isn't shown by anybody on MTV. You don't need lots of expensive gear to play punk. A lot of the time when I go watch punk bands, their bass players use the same bass as me, a MIM Fender Jazz bass. And lots of them use an Ampeg 8x10 cabinet and some sort of Ampeg head. You could acquire enough gear to go on tour in a punk band for well under $3000 (by my figuring), and thats new. If you bought used stuff you could probably get by for a lot less. Some bands that are regarded as punk do use expensive gear, but just as many don't. I think true punk bands play what they like and what is practical. Fat Mike from Nofx plays a Danelectro DC bass because he has a bad back. It cost him all of $250.

6. rickbass

An Ampeg SVT cab with a large enough Ampeg head to drive it isn't "expensive gear"? :confused:

Am I still on planet Earth??? :D

7. Wownirvana

Wownirvana

Jul 7, 2002
    Athens, GA
    Considering that most of these bands only have one cab, one head (maybe a backup), and a few basses, their gear is relatively inexpensive. As I said before you could buy the gear needed to tour in a punk band for well under $3000 dollars new. You could probably get away with under $2000 used. Considering some people play basses that cost more than $2000 I think a complete tour rig for under $2000 is fairly inexpensive. I'm not saying that $2000-$3000 is a drop in the bucket, but it is affordable.

8. rickbass

I'm saying that, back in the "true" punk days, you had one used Precision and whatever amp you could beg/borrow/steal.

Not that one person's experience is a universal truth, but I had a pre-CBS Precis I won in a card game, a 450W EMC head I stole from St. Louis Music, and the 3-15" cab I bought from them when they could find the head that matched the cab after they did a warehouse inventory.

And that was one of the baddest-ass rigs in St. Louis punk bands at the time. When we played on a bill with the Ramones, they had no idea of what "re-biasing" their tubes meant and Dee Dee just had one beat-to-crap Precision and an Ampeg with speakers that were shot to hell.

A back-up bass??? That was something the rich kids playing Return to Forever music had.

9. Wownirvana

Wownirvana

Jul 7, 2002
    Athens, GA
    I hope your using "true" to describe a certain era and not trying to imply that bands today aren't punk because they spend money on their gear. I guess if you are used to punk bands playing gear like you say, the gear a normal punk band has now is expensive. But to me, it is affordable.

10. I would like to disagree that punk music requires no talent. Adamently.

[Ed- Play nice. It's one thing to disagree; it's another entirely to insult other members and make threats against them. Read the usage agreement. PM if you have a problem.

/Brendan]

Sincerely,
    Commander Adama

11. rickbass

No, just see my original post. All I'm saying it "punk" used to be a lifestyle, not just a "musical style."

Today, you can play punk while going to an Ivy League college to get a degree.....it's "respectable" in society.
    A punk from the "old days" would be in jail today for beating the crap out of Sum 41.....right after he torched Abercrombie & Fitch.

12. Switch "most" and "some" around and i agree 100%!:D

13. Wownirvana

Wownirvana

Jul 7, 2002
    Athens, GA
    If being punk means being a d**k then I don't want to be punk. I don't care if Sum 41 calls themselve punk or if anybody wears Abercrombie and Fitch. I think its moronic but so what. Other people can be as stupid as they want. Maybe I'm not punk then-whatever.

14. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    My only beef with some of the comments is people equating punk musicians with being talentless. Sure, you had players like Sid Vicious and the Ramones (c'mon, they had some good songs, but they weren't exactly masters of their instruments), but you also had people like JJ Burnell, Tom Verlaine, Mick Jones, Tim Simonon, and MANY other players that were true musos in punk bands.

15. Being punk....Isn't punk!

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Moving up to something musically related. Misc, mayhaps.

17. Yup, it's true. Not to be patronizing, but just look at it statistically. There are easily several thousand bands that play music they (or others) deem "punk". And, by taking a non-biased assessment, I have come to the conclusion that MOST do only play root notes. There are many bands out there that don't, but the vast majority (as usual) do. But what does it matters, being in a punk band isn't about being skilled, it's about being fun. I'd take that over being skilled any day.

This also, is true.

18. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Avril Lavigne is SO punk

19. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Rick, I just find it halirous that you stole a head. :D

Didn't Nikki Sixx steal his first guitar?

Personally, I never really understood a lot of the punk mentality. You never hear bebop guys talking about the "Jazz" lifestyle. I guess I see things that way cause I've always been such a music whore and have never associated myself with a particular style of music. In a way I can understand the point though, I probaly wouldn't want to see a blues gig by some cat who grew up in Beverly Hills. Still, I couldn't care less about the politics in music, if I dig someone's song or I like their playing I'll buy the album.

Probaly a lot of the punk I listen to aren't really considered punk. (I Against I, Suckerpunch, Greenday, Suicide Machines, ect.) I really don't care. I'm to worried about losing myself in the music and think that's more important than a label. Would I ever want to play in a punk band? No, I know it wouldn't leave me feeling musically satisfied. I would probaly not play in a metal band either unless it was a techincal like Cynic, Athiest, Spastic Ink ect. because I probaly wouldn't feel musically satisfied either. I'm not going to dis a bassist who does want to play those styles of music though because I do enjoy listening to them both.

My local music scene has it's own website and you get these guys with holier than thou attitude's because they play all orginal music. It really irks me (even though my current band does do orginal material also) because I can't stand musicians with an "I'm better than you" ego. As an example today, I said I could bash them because I have formal training or because I think their music is simplistic because it's based on tertian harmony. (I've been talking about tertian harmony a lot :D ) Of course, I don't think I'm better than anybody because I've studied music some and almost all of the music I listen to is based on tertian harmony, I was just using it as an example of how anybody can be a music snob.

Wow, didn't mean to go off on a rant like that, but it just happens. :D