Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ads...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Francois Blais, Mar 9, 2001.

1. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Hi.
    If you become an elite member, do you have to still see all the advertisements?
    When I arrived a few minutes ago, a pop-up ad window appeared. If I'm not wrong this is a new thing.
    If there's no way to change the ads I think it'll be time for me to leave the board...

Thanks in advance.

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Paul has a thread about this subject in BG off topic. Right now he's apparently just trying to not run at a loss, and not enough people have become supporting members to put the forum back in the black. Right now I see one ad window when I first go to the forum. I close it, and the rest of my stay is ad free. This might be different if you aren't "cookied".

3. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    The ads are a pain, but keep in mind that they support this site. It is those advertisers who spend their money to keep TalkBass here. Dealing with a pop-up now and then is a very small price to pay for such a tremndously useful service that TalkBass is.

Those advertisers believe that this site and the people it attracts (thats you and me folks) is a valuable audience for them. Blind ads, like spam emails, truly suck in every way, but these are well thought out and targeted. They spend their money so that we dont have to (unless we want to).

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think this just shows how wrong Marketing people can be - on the BG side there is thread with loads of replies along the lines of "I can't afford $20" or "My Parents won't let me send money over the internet". So how do the advertisers think they're going to get money if people won't send Paul a measly $20?

It's no wonder that dot.com companies are crashing/bankrupting at such a rate! :rolleyes:

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I just don't agree. "A pain" would be if 67 new browser windows spontaneously opened asking to give money to orphaned children. Or, if I had learn Arameic in two weeks. Or, making 45 copies of the Encycolpedia Britannica with one pencil and carbon paper.

Clicking a little button that says "close" is not a pain to me. And it certainly doesn't offset the value of the advice and information I get from fellow talkbassers.

6. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    JazzBo, you obviously did not read my whole post. If you had, you would have realized that it was strongly supportive of what TalkBass does to make itself profitable.

And I disagree with your mis-reading of it too. No matter what YOU think, many people do find pop-up ads a pain.

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i would rather deal with pop-ups than with no talkbass, that's for sure.

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

It takes me one second to close a pop-up...oowww my achin' butt.... :rolleyes:

9. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Hey, sorry Brewer. No offense intended. And I definitely realize that you are in support of them, my only disagreement was with the fact that you thought that they are a pain. I still don't agree, I just don't see them as a "pain," but that's just my feelings.

And if you don't agree with me, meet me at the bike racks, after school, 3pm, we'll settle this. :D

10. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Well, I started this thread but didn't get a clear answer to my question, which is, I hope, better formulated like this:

When you become a supporting member, do you have an option somewhere so that you don't get the ads? Or do you continue to get them as everybody else do?

Thanks again.

11. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i don't think there's an option implemented yet to support that kind of a feature, francois. you might try asking paul, paul@talkbass.com

12. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I didnt say that "I" think they're a pain, I said that a lot of people think they are (thats just simply true, whether we think so or not).

....and I'll kick your ass if you don't agree!

13. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    ooo, fight fight, out at the bike racks. :D

(actually, you guys better shoo, the db'ers are probably right around the corner, and they'll call the cops, i'll bet.)

14. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    We don't need no STEENKING copsss. Besides, we've had worse fights than that one looks to be down here. If I had to choose though, my money's on Jazzbo....he looks like he knows what he's doing with that sword...

15. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Hey Chris, nice pussy you have there.

16. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    :eek:

ooo, i'm telling the moderator!

oh, waitaminute...

17. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    SEWERSLIME,

I'm not really sure how to respond to that...that's not a line I hear a lot.
    :cool:

18. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    :D

So, you wanna start this, huh? Well, my Dad can kick your Dad's ass! ...in a heartbeat. Huh, huh? How do ya like dem apples?!

And if you STILL disagree with me, even though everyone knows I'm right, then we'll settle this like MEN! Thumb war. C'mon.