Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adult Beverages Anyone?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Razor, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Ok, so it's late and that's my excuse.

This very well may be the dumbest post on TB but I'm gonna do it.

How many of you guys and gals have a drink while playing? Whether it's rehearsing or playing live?
    I've gotten several different responses from local players. There are some who won't touch a drop when playing. There are others, like myself, who have two or three before hitting the stage to just loosen up. And I am familiar with a select few who get absolutely sloshed before playing. I will say I tend to consume a bit more at rehearsals than live gig's.
    Anyways, I'm sure I'll get some strange opinions for possibly wasting good "Post" space here on this....but enquiring minds wanna know.

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I don't drink actually. But if I did, I probably wouldn't when I was playing.

3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    No more than one beer while waiting for the start of the first set. Add alcohol and my playing absolutely sucks. :)

I would have liked to have a drink or two after a show, but I drive the transport home most of the time, so that's a good reason to stay sober too.

4. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I enjoy 1-2 beers. At about 2 beers I can get in that zone where I loosen up just enough to "use the force". At 3 I start declining rapidly. I play pool better, play bass and guitar more creatively and less reserved, ski better, etc.

5. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    One before the gig and one between sets, but I also have water on stage with me. Never at practice since that's where we do all the arranging and learning of the material. If I started drinking at practice I'd be afraid I'd forget what was decided.

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i only drink when i'm giggin'

either a few beers or some scotch

i must admit, by the end of the gig, i am grooven' up a storm, but i'm usually buzzed big time.

i have been playing for a long time and it has allways been that way.

i'm a nervous bass player, but on trumpet, i can play boozed or non-boozed (trumpet is my main axe)

7. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I usually have a beer or two before gigging. It eases my nerves and I´m more relaxed and more comfortable while playing.

8. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Why is it that the drunk guy always thinks he played great;)

9. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I don't like drinking. I never do it by myself. But if my band drinks I will usually have one beer, just to be social with the band.

Drinking doesn't loosen me up, it makes me violent.

10. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    :eek:

11. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    It's probably best you don't drink when you play then, or you might end up smashing up your bass and the end :D

12. i only drink after the set and if i'm not driving.

13. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Yeah... it used to be that when I got drunk, I would want to pick fights. It might not be that way anymore... I am a bit older now, and haven't gotten drunk in a long time. That may have just been an adolesent thing... Who knows.

14. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i do not drink before or during gigs. Once when I was a kid and gigging in a hotel I drank two beers during a break - about mid set my right hand just stopped working; i pretty much had to beat on the bass with my arm ! Lesson learned !

15. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I drink.

But remember, there are different ways to drink. I don't drink like kids drink, where their primary objective is drunkenness. I drink because I enjoy alcohol, and I'm an adult, and can control my intake so as not to be inebriated when I'm playing.

16. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    That may noy have sounded great but it must have been hysterical to watch. I have this mental picture of you swinging your right arm like a pickax. :D

17. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Originally posted by godoze
    i do not drink before or during gigs. Once when I was a kid and gigging in a hotel I drank two beers during a break - about mid set my right hand just stopped working; i pretty much had to beat on the bass with my arm ! Lesson learned !

Godoze, did you take lessons from Fieldy?

18. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    Ditto. Mmmmm, beer.

19. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Fieldy was probably in diapers at that point...1985 ?

Yeah it was funny to watch. I was the youngest person in the band (like 10 years younger ) and all the vets laughed their asses off. I guess seeing a guy in a tux beating a bass looked kind of funny.

20. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Well, normally I don't, because alcohol tends to dehydrate you.

I had one while jamming with some guys about a week ago, but almost never on a gig. Sometimes after I'll have one.

Frankly, I'm not much of a drinker anyway, although I do enjoy an occasional glass of beer.