Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advanced difficult pickup wirings?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mrelwood, May 6, 2005.

1. mrelwood

mrelwood

Dec 15, 2004
    Finland
    I'm building a bass with MM/J -pup configuration, and I'm going to aim for several different onboard sounds. There is a thing I can't figure out though.

Can I connect a push-pull pot for one humbucker so that when pushed, I can roll from parallel (10) to single coil (0), and when pulled I can roll from series (10) to single coil (0)? I couldn't figure this out myself.

I'm going to have the following modes available:
    1) J <sweep> J + MM.
    2) J + MM <sweep> MM.
    3) J series with MM front coil (P-bass simulator).
    MM pickup switchable series-parallel-rear single coil in all of the above but the 3.

What do You guys think, what would be the most intuitive way of connecting these modes? I was thinking about:
    -master volume.
    -master tone.
    -push-pull pot for the pickup balance (had this, I like it).
    -push-pull pot or 3-position switch for the MM mode selector.
    -2-pos switch for J series with MM front coil or normal.

Any ideas? Thanks!

-Aki.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Tone is relative so the only way I know of determing what's desireable is to do it.

I rarely mess with onbaord controls any more but when I did I just took a meter and figured out how the switches worked, then plotted a course according to what I wanted. Rotary switches are the best for hair pulling in my experience.

Personally, I skip it all and run the pups straight to jacks and run off the amp - but that won't cut it for someone wanting onboard control.

Have fun :)

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this, but sounds like you want to be able to go between three coil modes with one push/pull. Not doable afaik.
    Why not use a double pole, triple pole switch?
    I don't understand this, could you explain?

4. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Do you mean you have one pot that rolls one coil of a humbucker in and out and the push pull part switches from series to parallel?

Yes, at least for the parallel part. But in series both coils would be going through the resistor. There may be a way around that but I'd have to use a pencil.

5. mrelwood

mrelwood

Dec 15, 2004
    Finland
    Because that wouldn't give me a possibility to get the positions in between. What I did manage to get is pup normally in parallel, and the pot does nothing. When pulled, the pickup is in series, and when the pot is rolled off, it turns to single coil. It was quite usable.

I have a pot that works as a neck pickup volume. The rear pickup is connected full on, so what the pot does is go from both to bridge only. When I pull the pot, it is a bridge pup volume, and the neck pup is full on. Then I go from both to neck only.

This way the both-on position doesn't have the reduction that a balance pot has.

-Aki.