1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Advances In Speaker Technology? What exactly?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mark Andrew, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Comparing old and new amplifiers has left me impressed with the size power and convienience of the new class d offerings but not blown away by a better sound so to speak. I admit that my class d tasting experience is limited to Peavey, Mark Bass, Trace elliot and a few Ashdown models. However when upgrading tired old drivers i have been literally blown away by the results. Various threads have mentioned significant advances in speaker design and technology but I was looking for a little more substance in an answer! What has changed? Can anyone summarize? I understand that being TB we are likely to go of on crazy tangents..... But on Friday that's allowed... I am less interested in cab design but hey I'm sure it will come up.... Pleasant weekend to all.. and if already covered......my apologies.

2. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Well, I'm not too clear on the how, but I think the biggest factors are likely improvements in power handling - both mechanical and thermal, improvements in dispersion, and especially improvements in displacement.

While all cabs have trade-offs that they make, many of today's most uber cabs that compete in the size vs. volume dept. use very high displacement drivers, meaning they can move more air with fewer drivers (of course, not counting mid-drivers used to compensate in some instances).

Mark Andrew, CharlieC and jnewmark like this.
  3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Improved magnetic circuit designs, materials, engineering, adhesives as just a few differences.

Mark Andrew likes this.
  4. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Higher Excursion drivers. That don't require extremely heavy magnets to make it work.

So you can lower the number of speakers and overall system weight. To reach average SPL needed for band situations.

High Excursion requires alot more power. But since they pack 300 to 800 watts into extremely light amplifiers. Power isn't much of a problem

90 to 130 pound 4x10 or 2x15 systems
    Being somewhat the old standard to reach average band SPL

Can now be accomplished by 30 to 75 pound
    1x12 or 2x12 systems

5. Interesting thanks